Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ever Hear of Dr. Ira Shandles? They say he has a Cure...

Posted by Jim S on 4/26/04 at 08:46 (149547)

I've had heel pain since 1997 and it sucks!!! I've done the streaching, ice, tape, and other methods but the pain is still there. I just read an article on heel pain in the paper and it talked about Dr. Ira Shandles.

Here is an excert:

'...Contrary to popular opinion, common heel pain is a nerve problem and not a bone problem. This explains the strange occurrence of pain in the heels primarily after rest. For over 18 years, Ira D. Shandles, D.P.M. has successfully cured 98% of heel pain patients without surgery. He utilizes enhanced subcutaneous injections without cortisone. Recurrence has been universally prevented by using custom orthotic therapy. This has been proven on over 300 patients followed for more than a 10 year period.'

Just curious to see if anyone has ever had these type of injections and if they really work???

Thanks.

Re: Ever Hear of Dr. Ira Shandles? They say he has a Cure...

Pauline on 4/26/04 at 09:07 (149549)

Jim,
Why not post his website. Do you know what he is injecting? There is no doubt in my mind that he will provide you with a pair of orthotics, but the rest leaves this reader with doubt.

I think we need to know more about Dr. Shandles treatment. Perhaps the doctors here know of Dr. Shandles treatment from hearing about it at their medical society meetings. Maybe he presented a paper on his effective cure. Usually this type of information (especially an in office treatment) one that good spreads like wildfire.

Surely Dr. Ed, Dr.Wander or Dr. Zuckerman would have heard about any treatment with this type of success rate.

Pauline on 4/26/04 at 09:12 (149550)

Jim,
After a second reading Dr. Shandles treatment sounds like what Monte was getting. I forget what it was called, but they put him out to do it and then used probes to dull or numb nerve endings. Something to that effect.
I don't recall him saying anything was injected into him but rather his nerve endings were deadened.

This could be what he is providing along with a pair of orthotics. You'll always be offered orthotics. Whether you'll be able to wear them or not is another story.

Jim S on 4/26/04 at 09:40 (149554)

A website was not listed in the news article. I read this in the local paper.

Dr. Ira D. Shandles is part of the Tampa Bay Podiatry Associates, P.A.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/26/04 at 14:10 (149565)

Jim:
There is nothing 'strange' about the occurrence of heel pain after rest. I have never heard of Dr. Shandles. I think that anyone who has found the 'cure' would be willing to publish his/her theories and would have found some level of professional recognition. Jim -- read Scott's Heel Pain Book on this site as you simply will not find a more complete description of the problems, its causes and cures.
Ed

Pauline on 4/26/04 at 16:46 (149585)

Jim,
Well here is Dr. Shandles website. Looks like he is using ESWT. You might want to call him and ask him if this is what he is talking about in the article you read or he could be talking about the nerve numbing treatment that Monte was having.

If you do a search under Monte you should find his posts about the nerve deading treatments he tried then when you call Dr. Shandles you can ask him which one he was refering to.

Personally I think everyone loves to post cure rates when it comes to curing P.F. Everyone wants business and everyone wants to be better than the next guy down the street.

Walk before you run, talk before you act and above all research before you submit to anything especially surgery.

Pauline on 4/26/04 at 16:47 (149586)

Forgot to add it to my post for you.
http://www.drshandles.com/

Dr. Z on 4/26/04 at 17:46 (149588)

This name sounds very familiar. Didn't we have a conversation about him and his cure for Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome with special injections. There is something very interesting about his treatment for neuroma's. It appears that he is using ESWT. I have e-mailed him and asked him about this.

Peter A on 4/27/04 at 10:21 (149627)

The information on his web page is mostly reasonable. For example, under PF it says 'he condition can usually be successfully treated with conservative measures such as use of anti-inflammatory medications and ice packs, stretching exercises, orthotic devices, and physical therapy. ' As far as it goes, it is hard to argue with that. Also, the main page for heel pain lists ESWT among many other topics, so that IS one of the options he offers. To judge from the web page, he offers a wide variety of treatments of many different foot problems, which is not as suspicious as someone who offers a single one-tratment-fits-all miracle cure for PF.

If you are in ths area and considering making an appointment at his clinic, you should probably read his web pages carefully. And I would want to ask lots of questions before going in to see him. He also mentions surgery, and I hope he considers that an absolute last option, when all else had failed.

john h on 4/27/04 at 10:46 (149629)

I think the nation wide stats are that 98% of all heel pain is cured with conservative measures. Do not read into this that 98% of those with chronic PF can be cured with his methods. He probably uses the same methods most other Pods use. If you are one of the unfortunate 2% who are chronic be advised there is no magic bullet or one size fits all. You will have to work through this trying many things and working with a Doctor who promises no immediate cure. I am immediately on guard when a Doctor on your first visit wants to sell you orthotics and give you a shot. I wonder just how many Doctors do this?

Re: To John Ever Hear of Dr. Ira Shandles? They say he has a Cure...

Pauline on 4/27/04 at 11:03 (149634)

Your answer is LOTS of them do it. Number one product sold I believe is a pair of orthotics.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/27/04 at 21:53 (149670)

Pauline:

The use or seeming overuse of orthotics is based in the desire to find a passive modality which is the closest thing to the 'magic bullet' for the problem. Most people want a quick fix. As such, cortisone shots can, in many cases significantly, albeit often temporarily ease the pain. Orthotics do remove strain from the plantar fascia, often enough strain/tension so that the PF goes away. Those two modalities tend to have the best patient acceptance and doctors respond accordingly.

The majority of PF sufferers see their podiatrist, get a cortisone shot plus orthotics and that is the end of it. People reach for what works most of the time. The posters on this board are individuals who have tougher cases so wehn they get the 'cookie cutter' treatment for PF, they are not cured and not satisfied. The average practitioner is basically just taking aim at the center of the bell curve.
Ed

john h on 4/29/04 at 11:23 (149767)

I think you hit it just right Ed with how the Doctors approach the treatment of PF. Since 90% are going to be cured with things such as you mention it is not going to make much sense for a Doctor spending a lot of time with a new patient looking for something that 90% of his patients do not need.

Re: Dr Shandles, just check the search engine

BrianG on 4/30/04 at 15:11 (149842)

There were many posts on this board, from Wanda, in about 2001. A simple search of 'Shandles', will show you everything. From what I just read, from Wanda's postings, he travels all over the world, with his miraculous cure. Yet, he was reluctant to speak with any of the Pods on this web site! It's all there, just do the search.

Regards
BrianG

PS: cut and pasted from the heelspurs.com search engine:

Message Number 48483

GREAT NEWS ABOUT B-12 SHOTS, GREAT NEWS!!!!! View Thread
Posted by Wanda M on 5/21/01 at hrmin
hey everyone, its me the B-12 shot girl.
Frist let me say I have the greatest news!!!!!!!!! The newroma's(not spelled right) in between my toes are now pain free thanks to Dr Shandles b-12 shots. I took about 5 on each foot (not at one time) one every wk. I went to see dr shandles today and he couldn't find any pain in between my toes. I started crying for the frist time in 4 yrs i dont have pain. I do still have pain and burning in my heel area. I got two shots today and he told me we are almost there to be pain free. I will get my orthotics hopefully next wk, these come from the university of calif.
People i wish you all could get the feeling and help this wonderful dr has given me. I mean my dr bill is high but for the price of my feet what would we all pay to be pain free, my insurance will pay most of my bill.
Dr Shandles just got back from paris, france where he gave a lecture to all the international dr's on the use of b-12 shots. He then was invited to speak in italy and beligum this yr and austraia in 2003. His thery is to get the dr's in other countries to use it and have great sucess and then the american dr's will want it just like all the shock wave machines.

If anyone lives close to Tampa Fl please get intouch with him for he can help you , i know with all my heart he can for he is so smart and such a sweet dr never in a hurry. Dr Z i told him you wanted to speak to him did you ever call? His plans are to set up his own web page and put all his research papers and question and answers there.
God Bless each of u dont give up but make sure your dr knows what he is treating u for.

Searching file...
Message Number 44022
Re: B-12 UPDATE View Thread
Posted by wanda m on 4/08/01 at hrmin
i get on dr shandles case every time i go to his office about not getting on line. He says he is but very busy and has a new baby and likes to spend every min he can with him and i cant blame him. He is going to paris in may for a big conference he will be the guest speaker, Dr Z i wish u could go to that. i cant type much for it hurts my neck so bad. I wish u could see dr sandles for i know he could help you with TT. God bless and dont give up

JudyB on 5/01/04 at 18:32 (149879)

Dr Z, did he respond? What did he say?

Dr. Z on 5/02/04 at 14:12 (149905)

Hi

No answer so far

April B on 2/26/07 at 16:42 (223665)

Hi Everyone,

My husband Joel has been treated by Dr. Shandle for years and I can personal say that I highly recommend him to all my friends. He is caring, intelligent, and has an excellent bedside manner! My husband could not walk for such foot pain years ago and Dr. Shandle's treatment cured his neuromas and heel pain.

Every few years his feet begin hurting again and Joel needs to visit him for treatment. Over the last few months, he had his 2nd pair of inserts made and his feet are once again doing well.

I worked at a hospital with Dr. Shandles years ago and I know that he has been a consult with the US Army and I have also seen some of the published research he has been involved with...I find him very credible and ethical. I know that his CV contains many presentations he did for different medical groups (including internationally).

I guess your best option is not to take my word for it but make an appointment with him to see for yourself if you need podiatric treatment. Best wishes!
April

WyndyO on 10/19/07 at 11:08 (238046)

Dr. Shandles is a wonderful caring human and humane kind brilliant doctor. He performed my bunionectomy many (almost eight) years ago (scar hardly discernable and used my own bone in surgery so no screws or pins in my foot and very nice healing), and treated a heel neuroma problem I had (with the shots and the 'current machine' afterward it was cured after 2 to 3 treatments). I was hobbling and suffering for over a month! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE EXPERIENCING FOOT OR HEEL PROBLEMS. If all my doctors were as knowlegeable and caring as he is the world would certainly be a better place. He is for real, and an excellent doctor.

Lee I on 7/25/08 at 09:34 (248699)

I too saw this ad a few weeks ago and have suffered for over 4 years with heel pain. I figured 'why not?' and made an appointment. I have already had x-rays, MRIs, physical therapy, drugs, orthotics (on my second pair), and splints, boots...you name it...even unsccessful surgery! So, having nothing to lose I went in on Wednsday. I had to wait forever before I was called back but Dr. Shandles did something no other Dr. did: he took an ultrasound. There, on the bottom of both heels were 2 tumors..one the size of a golf ball. He injected B12 mixed with alcohol into each heel ad promised I would be as good as new. He did not offer me orthotics...yet; but I asked to see a pair from the receptionist and they are pretty much like the ones I own now. So, now you know what he injects into the feet...at least in my case.
A coworker from South Africa has a friend who had the same pain and had the same shot...in Ireland! It worked for her and though it is too early yet for me to see if this worked or not, I am holding onto hope. If you're like me and have tried everything, who knows, you might as well give it a shot (pun intended)!

Re: Dr Shandles, just check the search engine

sue g on 8/07/08 at 19:20 (249027)

when you got your shot of b-12 did it hurt?and was it hard to walk after injection? i had my first one today. i have 2 small heel spurs. one in back of heel, one on the inside of heel. doc said they are small and will desolve themselves in 2-3-weeks. may have to be fitted for insoles. is this customary . thanks for input