Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To retreat or not to retreat...

Posted by goose on 4/26/04 at 12:50 (149558)

Quality of Summer Issue:

I am trying to decide whether or not to have my second ESWT (Dornier Epos Ultra) as scheduled in May. I had one treatment on both feet in December and my feet were quite inflamed and tender for a few months following. While I still have a bad case of PF, it is manageable right now ( tape, ice, tennis shoes, rest, splints). While I KNOW I want to do ESWT again, I'm not sure if I I should risk my summer by being in lots of pain. On the other hand, why not get the treatment now and be on my way to full recovery sooner? I don't know what to do! Any advice?


Re: To retreat or not to retreat...

SteveG on 4/26/04 at 13:56 (149564)

Goose - you could wait to September, especially if you are doing OK now. I am, however, surprised you had that much trouble after the first round. I did not notice much of a difference (if any) initially.

Re: To retreat or not to retreat...

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/26/04 at 14:15 (149567)

Considering the downside to ESWT which is small, I would see more of a benefit by continuing with that.

Re: To retreat or not to retreat...

Dr. Z on 4/26/04 at 16:44 (149584)

If you have seen improvement and it is getting better then wait it out. If you have pain that is interfering with your ability to function then do it now.

Re: To retreat or not to retreat...

goose on 4/28/04 at 08:00 (149697)

Thanks for the advice. I have a few weeks to decide but I will likley do since I have still plenty of pain. I just hope i can still bike and wear sandals once in a while!


Re: To retreat or not to retreat...

Rosemary on 5/01/04 at 21:07 (149882)

last year, at around the same time, I also was considering a second round of ESWT. I also was very sore following the first one and did not want to face the summer months with the same kind of recovery time. I decided to go ahead with the second treatment and was so surprised on how different the recovery was. The night of the treatment I went out to dinner and actualy wore a pair of sandals! I imagine that because I was better going into the second round, I recovered quicker and with much less discomfort. Based on my experience, I would say go for it! Good Luck!

Re: To retreat or not to retreat...

Pauline on 5/01/04 at 21:54 (149894)

Or another explaination might be because you had difficulty with the first treatment maybe the doctor turned the energy level down for your second treatment. I think this too could result in less discomfort.

Either or you had a much better experience and that's what counts.

Re: To retreat or not to retreat...

goose on 5/06/04 at 16:00 (150136)

That is encouraging! How are your feet doing now? I still have two weeks to decide. I keep going back forth but I would hope the second time would go better!