Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Greg W. on 4/27/04 at 16:45 (149647)

I recently went hiking/backpacking & on the last several miles, my heel began to hurt. The last few miles were steep & I was carrying about 50lbs on my back (since the grade was steep & due to the weight of the backpack, I'm certain that I didn't use much of my calf muscles in hiking up the trail). I've been working inside the office for the last 2 years, rarely exercising during the week. So after reading the website info., it seems I may have a heel spur, but I read that 85% of patients felt pain in the morning. In my case, the pain gradually gets worse the more I am on my heel & is in fact nonexistent in the morning. It has been about 10 days & the pain isn't going away. What do you suggest other than rest? Does this sound like a heel spur? age: 25. weight: 185lbs.

Re: heel pain

Dr. Z on 3/25/04 at 12:26 (147760)

Hi
We have a heel pain book on this site that is very helpful with understanding all of the various treatment that you can read and review. Foot surgery is a last resort to the major potential complications and failure. IF you heel pain is severe and has been with you for over six months with three failed conservative treatment then ESWT may be right for you. First read the heel pain book. Don't hesitate to ask and or discuss any form of treatments

Patti B. on 4/19/04 at 17:47 (149151)

I recently had surgery on my foot for Tarpal Tunnel. I had heel pain and I still have. The pain is in the inside of my left heel. Sometimes I have to get off my feet, the pain is so bad. When I do, my heel starts throbbing. My foot Dr. said I have a very small heel spur, but he said this is not the reason for my pain. I am on my feet all day and I don't know what else to do. I also had a neuroma on the palm of my left foot and the Dr. removed it through the top of my foot. He told me that it was my nerve all balled up and had to be removed. Now I can't feel the bottom of my middle toe. Any comments or suggestions?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/27/04 at 21:59 (149672)

Greg:
What you are describing sounds more like a strain of the plantar fascia and/or arch of the foot. Try some of the taping methods discussed here. See a professional if it does not get continually better within a few weeks.
Ed