Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Negative Nerve Test

Posted by Karen C. on 4/27/04 at 20:32 (149658)

I had my nerve conduction test today. The Neurologist said that she felt that she got a really good study and that she did not see any evidence of Tarsal Tunnel. She compared both feet and they were the same. The one thing she did see is the Plantar?? It was a band that ran from the inside of my foot, kind of on the upper part of my heel through my arch, and wrapped around to the outside. During the test she inserted the needle in the outside part of that muscle. That is the only time that I experienced any pain. The pain ran straight through the place in my foot that hurts the most. Not sure what all this means. On a good note, she gave me the name of a good orthopedic surgeon that specializes in feet. I'm going to go ahead an make an appointment with her. If it is not Tarsal Tunnel, we've got to figure out what it is an fix it.

Karen C.

Re: Negative Nerve Test

Jo B. on 4/28/04 at 19:24 (149741)

Karen,
I had a NVC test and had positive results, but when I talked to my Podiatrist, he told me that people can have TTS and many of them don't have positive results on a NVC. He said that many people are diagonosed by symptoms alone.

He told me that the response times I had were atypical and was significant, but from what he explained to me, that my results are not as common as you would expect. There are other tests that can be performed, MRIs, etc. to help in diagnosing and treating your problems.

DON'T GIVE UP! You might find it helpful to write down all your questions & symptoms you can think of and take them in and ask the doc. I did that and it helps me so I don't forget something when I'm in to see the doc. I keep a small notebook with me to write in when I think of something or experience new pain, symptoms, etc.

GOOD LUCK! And Hang in there! - Jo B.

Re: Negative Nerve Test

Karen C. on 4/28/04 at 22:10 (149746)

Jo,

The notebook is a great tool. I've used it for many years now. I have five children and I'm always at one doctor or another between them and myself. I'm going to change doctors so my plan is to take all of my test results that I've had thus far. I also want to take my file from my PT for the past 3 years.

Thanks for the encouragment. Today was an extremely painful day. I wasn't on my feet so much it just seems to hurt more when I let my leg hang down and I had a meeting for 2 hours. It seems to be a bit more swollen today. I've been keeping lidocaine patches on my foot for almost a week now. I alternate 12 hours on 12 hours off. I forgot them one night and could definately tell a difference. However, lidocaine patches are only masking the problem once again.

Thanks again,
Karen C.