Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Second visit . . .

Posted by Peter A on 4/28/04 at 15:10 (149718)

I went back to see my podiatrist (see previous thread, 1st visit to Pod.) today. I was somewhat reassured this time, although he lacks somewhat in empathy. My criticism at this point is that he should pay more attention to the patient as a whole person, and not just the mechanics of their feet. You will all know what I mean.

To a certain extent he said, I've been doing this for 20 years -- why don't you trust my judgment here? But he listened and answered all my questions. He said he did not want to address the confusion of symptoms until he had gotten my foot position corrected. He said that would clear up the most serious problems, and he could then go on to consider any other symptoms that were not helped. OK, fair enough, although I wish we had talked about that at the first visit.

I mentioned that not everyone is helped by custom orthotics -- that in surveys OTC inserts do just as well. He said that he knew that, and that he was aware that lots of Pods just ran orthotic mills that took no care with the product. But what was most reassuring was when he said, 'that's why I don't charge for the inserts if they don't work. Sometime I have to adjust them, and I will do that as much as I need to, and if we can't get it to work, you won't have to pay for it.' It seems to me that's unusual among Pods, and if he is still in a good practice (his Mercedes was parked outside the front door), then he must be making orthotics that work for some people.

In the meantime, the lab screwed up the orthotics the first time, so I have to wait a few more days to start to see if, in fact, they DO work.

Re: Second visit . . .

Richard, C.Ped on 4/28/04 at 16:02 (149723)

That is one of the unfortunate things about the orthotic labs that are out of town. I do my best to get the orthosis out either the same day or the next day, as well as on the spot modifications. That is very important to me. Customer satisfaction.

We have a great pedorthic practice. You can tell by looking at my 1997 Nissan pick up parked outside...LOL.