Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for KarenC

Posted by BudP on 4/29/04 at 10:01 (149760)

Karen
I noticed in your post that you had lateral release on your knee. Did you develop PF after the knee surgery? I had that procedure done on both knees,I have always thought that it was one of several things that contributed to my developing PF. My Ortho Dr. disagrees.

As far as the EPF surgery the pain was nothing compared to the lateral, release on the knees. In my case I'm almost 100% better in less than 6 months. I have no heel pain or first step pain,which was unbearable before the EPF surgery.There are all kinds of horror stories on this board about EPF surgeries gone bad,also there are geat deal of successful surgeries. I'm one of the PF patients that is extremely happy I had the surgery. Good luck with any decision you make.

Bud

Re: Question for KarenC

Karen C. on 4/29/04 at 12:46 (149777)

Bud,

It's nice to find someone else who has had lateral release on their knee. That is NOT a surgery I would want to go through again! As I think about it, I developed the heel pain after that surgery. My Physical Therapist has always linked the two together. As a matter of a fact, when I was going to PT, they worked on my knee area more than my foot. I have noticed that when my foot hurts the worst, my knee and leg are swollen. When I asked this new Otho Doc about it, he said 'there is not link between the two'. That should have been my first red flag. How can they NOT be linked. Everything is linked!!

I'm scheduling an appointment with a new Ortho Surgeon that the Neurologist recommended.

Thanks for easing my fears about foot surgery. I was scared to death that it was very similar to the lateral release.

Karen C.

BudP on 4/29/04 at 14:29 (149784)

Karen,
Why did you have a lateral retenacular release on your knee? My surgeries were to make the knee cap track differently so I could buy some time so to speak. Then I will eventually have to have both knees replaced.Both my feet have been giving me problems ever since. Mostly hot sore feet.But like I said the EPF worked great for the classic first step heel pain.

Bud

Karen C. on 4/29/04 at 15:39 (149786)

Bud,

Sounds like we have the same knees. I only had my left one done about 3 years ago. My knee cap was totally off track. It took about 9 months for me to actually believe the surgery helped. Now I still have trouble with the knee. Sometimes it just swells and aches. Coincidentally, the foot on that leg is the one giving me trouble. I made an appointment today with a different Ortho Surgeon. This one specializes in feet and ankles. I don't see him until the end of May. I guess I'll just keep hobbling until then.

Karen C.

BudP on 4/29/04 at 19:04 (149798)

Karen,
Let me know what he says about if the PF is related to the release.Thanks

Bud