Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cost of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy for Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Mike B on 4/29/04 at 10:44 (149761)

Does any one know what the cost of this procedure runs without insurance coverage? BC/BS of CA has denied the request for coverage of this procedure by my doctor. I'm trying to get an idea of the cost to see if I can afford to pay for the procedure on my own.--Mike B

Re: Cost of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy for Plantar Fasciitis

MARK L on 4/29/04 at 12:56 (149778)

It doesn't have to be very expensive. E-mail me at <(email removed)> and I'll give you info.

MARK L on 4/29/04 at 13:32 (149780)

Try this address (email removed)

Dr. Z on 4/29/04 at 21:13 (149811)

The cost for ESWT can range from $2500 to $6000 in the USA. In Canada it is less. Make sure that the cost of a second treatment if needed is included. Experience does count especially with knowing when to use ESWT.
Usually if you find doctors that are willing to charge very little or nothing it is because they are in the learning stages so ASK QUESTIONS.

Susy H on 5/11/04 at 14:45 (150409)

I'm in north Texas and my BC/BS denied coverage too. I called the company that would be doing all the administrative work for my Podiatrist and they gave me pricing using the OssaTron equipment. I was given a price of $2400.00 for the use of a facility and the equipment. Then told to add on to that fees for your doctor and anesthesiologist (if needed). So somewhere in the $5000 range is probably pretty accurate. I am attempting an appeal to BC/BS which will probably be a waste of time but I'm going to try anyway. My Dr. is very high on this procedure and I've heard of people who've had great success with it. If the appeal fails, I'm thinking about paying for the procedure anyway.

Pauline on 5/11/04 at 15:15 (150413)

Susy,
Just for the heck of it email Healthronics and see if they will offer you a discount of any type on their cost? At one time I was offered one. My cost would have been only doctor, anesthesiologist and use of facility.

Why it was offered then I can't tell you. I never ended up having the treatment, but heck it can't hurt. Tell them outright you'd like the treatment, but can't afford the cost because of the other fees
that need to be included.

I don't promise anything, since my discussion with them was some time ago but they did offer to eliminate their fee for me.

The way I look at it is all they can say is NO.