Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help! 6 months with plantar fasciitis and nothing is working!

Posted by anne m. on 4/30/04 at 03:19 (149815)

Hi. I'm Anne and I have been living with plantar fasciitis in my right foot for 6 or so months. I have had orthotics, 2 coirtisone injections,crutches, bandages, tape, electic shock therapy and so on. Im wondering what the next best thing to do is? Does surgery have a good success rate? please reply I am sick of it!
Anne

Re: help! 6 months with plantar fasciitis and nothing is working!

R C on 4/30/04 at 09:00 (149824)

It might be too soon to think about surgery, in my layman's view. Perhaps it would help to know about your background -- how did the PF come about, does your job/family/lifestyle keep you on your feet for many hours, do you have very high/low arches, how do you like your doc and what kind is s/he?

I have found tape to be a very fundamental part of my recovery, but it takes some practice (a couple weeks of trial and error) to get it done most effectively. I have also had good results with hard (non-removable) cast + crutches, followed by physical therapy. The idea is to give the injured tendon complete and uninterrupted protection from full weight bearing until it heals, then gradually restoring its elasticity with certain stretches and exercises.

Good luck--

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/04 at 18:55 (149851)

Anne:
Please read the Heel pain Book in order to understand the full range of treatments for PF. ESWT is really the 'gold standard' for treatment of intractable PF.
Ed

Kathy G on 5/06/04 at 16:22 (150146)

Anne,

So sorry to hear of your pain. You definitely should read the heel pain book and feel free to come back with any questions you might have. Most people recover from PF but it takes time and patience.

Good luck!