Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A.R.T. heal pain still hurts

Posted by David B on 5/02/04 at 18:55 (149911)

I am about to give up, I have had 2 ESWT treatments, they did not help and now I have been doing Active Release Therpy since Jan and it has helped some but not enough relief. I have had 16+ I lost count very intense treatments, my dr said that most people will not let him massage as hard as I do. I had 13 visits anbd it was starting to be about 50% better, then one week after a treatment it hurt like HECK, I am about ready to have this problem fixed once and for all have the surgery.

Re: A.R.T. heal pain still hurts

Dorothy on 5/03/04 at 01:46 (149927)

I hear your frustration! I think it is especially frustrating when we read of some technique or product that was so helpful to someone else and we get our hopes up for it - then it doesn't have the same effect for us. The other unknown is whether or not maybe 17 or 20 ART treatments would be the right number - it's always that unknown of will this work? am I doing it right? enough? with the right practitioner? etc etc.
So, I hear your frustration - and I hope you find good relief either with ART or some other way. This whole pain business is BAD!

Pauline on 5/03/04 at 08:35 (149932)

David,
I don't know how long you've had your case of P.F. but here is my story.
I've had it three times. Each lasting up to and over 3 years. Then it was gone.

I've never had surgery, or ESWT. I could never wear orthotics although I've had several custom pairs made, however, I did wear out a pair of night splints, taped on a daily basis, used Jade Cream, and made my own comfort inserts from a variety of over the counter products.

Luckily for me conservative treatment methods, time and I'm certainly with God's help my P.F. finally went away.

In your post you suggest your thinking about surgery to get rid of this problem 'once and for all'.

I would ask you to take time to read over the surgery board on Scott's site. No surgery comes with a guarantee of pain relief although many thought it was going to be that way. Some did experience help from it, but many experienced additional pain and complications.

We definately know that lateral column syndrome is one of them because many people have reported this condition following their surgery. Some went on to additional surgeries to eliminate more pain caused by the first P.F. release, only at the end to be referred to a pain clinic for constant pain control.

I would ask you to take time to do your research prior to any surgery you decide upon.

Some doctors are using a different surgical procedure that is done in the leg instead of cutting any of the Plantar Fascia. I cannot remember the name of this procedure but there has been discussion and people who have had this procedure on the surgery board.

If you do not know about it, it's one to consider. Not all doctors do it. I know Dr. Manoli an Orthopedic Surgeon who specialized in foot and ankle uses it with his P.F. patients. It too is suppose to provided good results without weakening the P.F. which is the main support of the foot.

Every patient if different and so are doctors. If you choose surgery your job will be to do the necessary research to find out everything you can about the doctor, the procedures and the results to be expected. There is no snip and go procedure.

You'll be happy you did it, know what questions to ask, and be more confident when you make your final decision.

Best of luck.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/03/04 at 19:21 (149971)

Pauline:
You are probably referring to the gastrocnemius recession. This procedure involves lenghtneing the gastoc muscle and is based on the fact that many pF sufferers have tight gastroc muscles. Many do not though.
Ed

Pauline on 5/03/04 at 21:03 (149975)

That's it Dr. Ed. Certainly something to consider if that happens to be his problem. Not everyone performs this surgery so now he has another option to research.

Thanks for the name. I'm going to have to bookmark that so I can remember what it's called. I know about the procedure, but can never remember it's name.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/04/04 at 22:35 (150052)

Pauline:
There are actually many different names for this procedure. The primary procedure, as listed by CPT code, is a gastrocnemius recession. There are many ways to do this with the Strayer procedure being the simplest, and perhaps the most common because it is the simplest. Other versions involve a 'tongue in groove' approach, one version is called a Fulp and the other, a MCGlamry. It depends on which direction the 'tongue' is facing. I do mine with the tounge facing upward because I feel that having the two cuts being plantar creates more fibers of the soleus into the lenghtening process creating a more sucessful outcome a higher percentage of the time. I cannot remember if my version is the McGlamry or not -- anyone want to join in??
Ed
Ed