Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery for hallux rigidus (x both feet)

Posted by Carolyn L on 5/03/04 at 00:10 (149925)

My doc told me in January '04 that I would need surgery for hallux rigidus on both feet (didn't tell me what stage I was in). He mentioned initial recovery would be 3-5 days off my feet: two weeks after I'd be in a soft shoe and complete recovery in 3 - 4 months. My primary care doc does NOT want me to have surgery on both feet at once but since recovery is going to take a while, would there be major problems to having everything done at the same time? Incidentally, the office assistant (who does the scheduling) is painting a FAR different picture of initial post-op of 3 - 4 weeks on crutches; icing 20 minutes 'of every waking hour;' suture removal 3 weeks post-op; 4th week soft shoes. I am absolutely stunned and cannot figure what I should do at this point. Any suggestions?

Re: Surgery for TTS

Nancie H on 2/11/04 at 10:17 (144085)

When all else fails, what kind of doctor operates on TTS?

jennifer s on 2/11/04 at 10:54 (144091)

I would recommend a podiatry surgeon. I went to a regular podiatrist and the experience was less than desirable. They don't know enough to do surgery. My surgeon was awesome. If you live near st louis and you would like the name let me know.

Kara S. on 2/13/04 at 12:30 (144267)

Search on the Internet for Dr. A. Lee Dellon. That will tell you everything you need to know about surgery and TTS. Awesome!

Jen on 2/20/04 at 12:34 (144818)

My doctor is an Orthopaedic Surgeon that specializes in below knee surgeries. I'm in the NJ/NY Metro area.

Re: Surgery for hallux rigidus (x both feet)

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/03/04 at 19:39 (149974)

Carolyn:
You need more information! Knowing the stage of hallux rigidus one is in is CENTRAL since all treatment revolves around that knowledge.
Ed