Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by gail on 5/03/04 at 19:00 (149967)

Hello everyone: I'm so glad to have found this message board. I felt so alone these past 6 months with the PF problem on my left foot. First, I tried antibiotics twice, one cortisone shot, orthetics, 6 ultrasound treatments. Also lost 15 pounds, and will keep working to lose more... Right now, I can only be no more than 2 hours standing on my feet, walking is not possible, but riding a bicycle is OK.

The only thing that worked so far was acupuncture. The acupuncter put a needle at the center of the heel where I felt most of the pain. Well, I felt no pain for one day. But, the pain was back just as bad 24 hrs later.

Is there anyone out there who knows how acupuncture works, would like to hear your comments. GAIL

Re: Acupuncture

Carlos N. on 5/04/04 at 14:11 (150013)

I'm no expert on acupuncture but it seems to have helped me a bit, too. Various treatments plus stretching, orthotics, rest, ice, and night splint have all been beneficial. Overwhelmingly, the orthotics have been the best. I believe that acupuncture will help with your symptoms and pain management. For a long term solution I would look at more rest, icing, and read Scott's heelspurs book on this website. It's jam packed with information on how to treat PF. Be patient but keep looking for a solution. It's out there, don't give up.

kerry on 5/05/04 at 15:19 (150091)

I'm having acupuncture for this at the moment too. My Physio is putting 7 needles into my foot and ankle, but when one of the needles goes into the centre of my foot it's agony - have you found this too?

Carlos N. on 5/05/04 at 17:43 (150096)

There have been a few treatments that caused some pain and discomfort. I've had needles in my ankle and bottoms of my feet and it was not pleasant. Nevertheless, I have a high tolerance for pain since I've been living with PF for over a decade. I do think that the acupuncture has given me some benefits--pain management, less stress and anxiety, and improved flexibility.

gail on 5/09/04 at 07:10 (150265)

Hi! Kerry: I too am having acupuncture as a treatment on both my feet at the moment. I have PF, but worst on left foot. A month ago, I saw an acupuncter and treated the left foot with a needle at the center of the heel. Yes, that was very painful. The right foot was treated with electro acupuncture (no needle). The good news was I had no pain for a whole day on the bad foot, but the pain returned the following day.

I am seeing another acupuncter now. He works differently. He inserts needles on the side of the heel and the effect goes and works at the center of the heel. It is surely a lot less painful. Well, so far it looks like there has been improvement on both my feet. I feel less pain in the morning when I take those first steps. Also, I can stand on my feet during the day and feel less pain.

Kerry! perhaps another acupuncter would make a big difference... Good luck. P.S. To relax before the visit to the acupuncter, I drink a glass of wine; that helps too.