Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Survey on the price of gasoline- not political and please keep it that way!

Posted by Kathy G on 5/06/04 at 16:19 (150143)

I am in shock; I just got gas!:o The cheapest gas in town is $1.819. How much are you folks paying?

I don't want this to become political. I'm just curious as to the price people are paying in the rest of the country.

Thank goodness my Corolla gets between 30-35 miles per gallon! It makes me all the more anxious to replace it with a Prius but that will be down the road since my car has only 40,000 miles on it.

Back in the energy crisis, I learned to combine trips and mentally map out the most fuel efficient route when I do errands. I'm glad that I still do it. I'm wondering if my children do it. I 'm not sure I ever spoke of it to them so they might not have noticed. They will when it hits them in the pocketbook!

Re: Survey on the price of gasoline- not political and please keep it that way!

Lari S on 5/06/04 at 22:14 (150163)

I'm moving to your town. I just paid $2.19 for regular here in northern California! It cost me over $50 to fill my tank.

Lari

wendyn on 5/06/04 at 22:38 (150166)

I dunno about gallons - but I'm paying around 83 cents a litre (Canadian). I will be biking to work a lot this summer :)

Richard, C.Ped on 5/07/04 at 08:32 (150176)

Well, my wife and I both drive a four cylinder. They both get wonderful gas mileage, unless you turn on the air conditioner. Its going to be 93 today. haha.

Our prices are around $1.75 for regular. I think it is crazy. I have spoken to others who said that its just capitalism and they can charge what they want. I am trying to convince a local owner to reduce his price by five to ten cents. Think of all the business he would get. Selling gas, and having customers come in for sodas and other groceries. I don't think he will do it. haha I think I would.

R C on 5/07/04 at 08:37 (150178)

$0.83 Canadian per liter works out to

(0.83)x(l/1.0556)x4x(1/1.35) US dollars per gallon, or

$2.33 US per gallon.

(I am using the conversion ratio 1.0556 quarts per liter and 4 quarts per gallon, and exchange rate of $1.35 US per Canadian dollar.)

Here in southeast Virginia we're paying $1.75.

john h on 5/07/04 at 10:29 (150186)

Arkansas around $1.75 gallon although at SAM's it is usually .05-.10 per gallon cheaper. We moan and groan but Europe is probably double our price and has always been near double our price or more. We really have no incentive in this country to cut back on the use of fuel. We drive big trucks and SUV's. Run our A/C 24/7 and use little public transportation. With our increase in population and increase in the use of big vehicles the price in the long run can only go up. I would speculate it will take $3.50 per gallon for people to make a change in life style. Our last big oil crisis when OPEC cut us off I swithed to a diesel. I remember lines at gas stations and many people switching to smaller vehicles. Considering inflation fuel today is still much cheaper than when we had the OPEC fuel crisis. Honda has some hybrids in the showrooms and on the road today that gets 50 plus mpg. Here in Arkansas we have more pickups than cars. Our problem is not with the 'big oil companies' but the problem is with us who want our cake and eat it to.

MARK L on 5/07/04 at 16:01 (150205)

Ignore the 'tree huggers and 'rare toad lovers', let the caribou sweat it out, and dig as many holes in Alaska and any where else in the USA as needed to be able to produce all the oil we need. Export not a single drop(and that includes so called friendly countries) unless it's for a significant premium over the domestic price. Then when the arab scum that we support are drowning in their own oil we offer them $10 a barrel or tell them to drink it or feed it to their camels. I wonder if Bush or Kerry have the testicular fortitude to do this.
In the meantime we don't stop buying big cars, that hurts the economy. We simply,each of us,reduce consumption by 1 gallon/week. Ride to work one day with a co-worker, take one shopping trip with a friend- It's real easy to drop 15-20 miles of driving /week. 150 million + gallons less/week will certainly get some attention. Then take the gas money you save- buy a lottery ticket and if you win you can flip any gas price the bird.

Suzanne D. on 5/07/04 at 22:21 (150221)

$1.89 here; the headline in yesterday's paper was 'Fuming Over Gas'.

Suzanne :)

Buck T. on 5/08/04 at 16:39 (150240)

I'd like to add something -- but it would be political.

Buck

pattyt on 5/08/04 at 19:23 (150243)

Hey Mark...

I dont know what you do for a living, but if you should decide to run for president, I will vote for you..LOL

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/04 at 23:00 (150258)

I filled up the tank this evening. It was $1.79 for regular, and I got the expensive high octane stuff which was $1.96.

I am SO LUCKY that I live close to work, and have no other reason to drive a whole lot. I only use one tank of gas a month. The last time I bought gas, the high octane stuff was $1.89, so it's gone up seven cents per gallon here in the past month!

A tank of gas is usually about 15 gallons (I try not to run it dry), so that means I spent $1.05 more for gas this month than last. Like I mentioned, I am really lucky that I don't have to drive much.

CArole C

MARK L on 5/09/04 at 11:35 (150275)

Was IN NYC on biz this past week- Early on gas was 1.87-1.99. By the time I left on Friday ( couldn't wait to leave) the prices were as high as 2.29 for regular in the suburbs and as high as 2.55 in the city. Add the noise, crowds, filth, gestapo traffic enforcers, and nasty ignorant cab drivers. The most fun I had all week was not tipping them and hearing them scream while I laughed in their faces. If I didn't know NYC was in the USA I would have thought I fell asleep and awoke in a foreign country. My advice - if you don't absolutely have to be in NYC don't go there for any reason- if you are there make every effort to get out.

john h on 5/09/04 at 18:37 (150297)

Mark you are not far off from what we did durning WWII. As you know gas and tires among other things were rationed. I am thinking a 'family' was limited to around 20 gallon a month. Very very few families had more than one car. I do not remember anyone complaining. That was just the way it was and you accepted it. During my two years in Vietnam I rode a bike. I really enjoyed it and was very disappointed when I returned to the states and find it was really not feasable to ride a bike to work or on a regular basis. Of course we did not have school busing in those days except for the kids who lived in the country. I wonder how much gas we use and how many buses we have these days to transport children for rides exceeding 1 hour. I would not be supprised if we did not have at least 100,000 buses runing. Eventually we will have to start building nuclear reactors again and drill off shore and in Alaska unless we find a real alternative to fossile fuel or unless American are ready to give up there love affair with big cars and big trucks.

john h on 5/09/04 at 18:39 (150299)

I need to add in the long run the price of fuel has nothing to do with Republicans or Democrats but economics. Both parties would have you think they can solve the fuel problem but they cannot as neither control fuel output or fuel ussage.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/04 at 17:40 (150342)

Kathy:
It is about $1.79 - 1.89 for unleaded regular to about $2.19 for unleaded premium in the Seattle area. I just got back from San Antonio where it was about twenty cents a gallon less. I have heard of some horrible pricing in California.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/04 at 17:48 (150343)

Mark:
We need to keep things apolitical (as we have another place to take the political discussions). Although your points are very well taken. I think that we all don't have a good understanding of the economics involved here. The price of a gallon of oil is artificially depressed by our military and political action in the Middle East. Without making any value judgements or political statements, I think that if we simply factored BACK IN what it really costs to keep oil at its current price level we will see that the cost of oil is actually a lot more expensive than we would like to beleive. In other words, the price we see at the pump is a net result of expenditures that are not readily calculable but really NEED to be added back in to see the true value of that entity.
Ed

Kathy G on 5/11/04 at 09:56 (150397)

Well, we have a station in town that's charging $1.95 and the lowest is was officially $1.83, as of yesterday. This is for regular; the premium is up over $2 at every station. And it's higher in some of the nearby towns. It's not like many of us on this board have the option of 'hoofing it.' I suppose it could be as expensive as milk per gallon!

Such is life! It just amazes me how quickly it's going up.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/11/04 at 15:04 (150410)

Kathy:
See my response to Mark above. If you take certain factors into consideration it is very difficult to say what a gallon of oil should cost. The cost is an artificial 'construct' held at a 'reasonable' level by military and economic action. Again, it is hard to stay away from 'politics' in this discussion but almost everyone, irrespective of their political views must recognize that a massive amount of military and political effort has been expended on keeping oil costs down. I feel that irrespective of views or justification of such efforts one MUST factor the cost of such efforts back into the price of oil to see what a gallon of oil is truly worth.
Ed

marie on 5/11/04 at 20:36 (150440)

It's 1.92 here on Thursday through Monday. It goes up for the weekend as I live in a tourist area. During the week it's about 1.87.

In Ohio, were I work, it's about 1.83.

The natives know to get gas before Thursday or jump the border to Ohio for gas.

Necee on 5/12/04 at 01:53 (150448)

I payed $1.71 for gas the other day. In most places, the price isn't much higher than that.

Maybe we need to all stay home more, that wouldn't be so bad.

Necee

john h on 5/12/04 at 11:16 (150462)

Since the vast majority of our imported oil comes from the Arab world and in particular Saudi Arabia in the final analysis the oil cartel controls the price of oil. All the other stuff we talk about is of little importance in the cost of oil.

john h on 5/13/04 at 10:43 (150511)

I should add that all the taxes attached to gas are much the part of the cost but as they remain constant they are not the reason for the increases. I think there was a Federal increase of around $.11 per gallon after 9/11 to fund Homeland Security. I suspect half the cost of gas is tagged on taxes by States and Federal agencies.Most of our highway upkeep comes from fuel taxes.

Lori S. on 5/16/04 at 02:34 (150657)

I live in Northern Nevada...... right now lowest grade is $2.20... I forsee .... not being able to walk .....not much of a problem as far as vacationing this summer..... cant afford the gas to go anyplace..... lol