Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weight loss exercises that aren't swimming?

Posted by Spencer F on 5/06/04 at 21:08 (150157)

I don't have the resources to swim consistantly (read: do not own or live near a pool.) I used to run 15-20 miles a week to keep my weight down but then PF set in four years ago and since I've gained probably 30 pounds. Drives me crazy. I have tried the elliptical but that ends up hurting my foot worse than running for some reason. Yes, I've gone to the podiatrist, wear orthotics, have had physical therapy, use ice, had several corizone shots, done the stretches....but still can't find a CARDIO workout that matches running.....and doesn't hurt my left foot (only one with PF.) My exercise regime which used to be 3-4 days a week minimum is now down to ZERO because my foot just kills me.

Ack. Any suggestions? ANYONE?!??? I don't want to have to starve myself but I already eat right. I don't want to resort to having to find diet pills or medications, either, but that's about where I am with this. I'm 40 and on my feet all day long (teacher.) HELP!!!

Re: Weight loss exercises that aren't swimming?

Dorothy on 5/07/04 at 01:31 (150170)

Stationary bike? Pilates? (video tapes) Seated vigorous movements e.g. bicycle your legs or exercise with exercise videos but modify them and do them seated?
Calorie restriction may be worthwhile to lose wt and avoid gain. As you already know, a 30 lb. gain is not doing your feet or your general health any good.
It's a very tough situation and one that many of us here can relate to.
Good luck!

Re: Weight loss exercises that aren't swimming?

Richard, C.Ped on 5/08/04 at 07:41 (150229)

Good idea about the bicycle your legs Dorothy. I think you can also buy a machine that looks like the 'guts' of a bicycle that you can turn with your hands.

A good eating plan will speed the metabolism. I am not a nutritionist, but I know what works for me. Five to six small meals of good foods per day, along with water, water, water, works for me. Good foods meaning 4 ounces skinless turkey, chicken breast or albacore tuna for protein, palm sized portion of corn, potatoes, etc for carb, and at least two small portions of greens per day.

I would as around at gyms or health food stores about eating right. It works.