Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

after heel spur surgery

Posted by kellym on 5/06/04 at 23:53 (150169)

in dec 2000 i had heel spur removed form right foot with surgery and in the left in jan 2001
the dr went in through the side of feet to do this basicly to shave off the spurs i have had nothing but pain since hand and emg done and there is nerve problems my new foot dr thinks it either piniched nerves do to scare
tissue or it could be my first foot dr cut the nerve durning the surgery
my question is how likely is it that the nerves have been cut?
and if the first foot dr did cut the nerves (both feet)was this a complication of the surgery and i don't remember the first dr saying so?
also if it is cut the only way to find out is to go in and see?
if it is scare tissue if i have surgery wouldn't that just make more scare tissue?
thank you

Re: after heel spur surgery

Dr. Z on 5/07/04 at 14:35 (150201)

Hi Kellym
So how can you tell if the nerve is damage in your foot post heel spur surgery. The experience of the doctor who is examining you is important. Ask him if he has seen this problem before. Do you still have heel spur pain when you first get up in the morning or after sitting for any period of time? Did they do an ultrasound and or mri? What did it show?
The physical examination will show pain from nerves depending upon where the doctor presses and what repsonse you give. Be very careful allowing someone to go in and treat this.

Another procedure that could help you without cutting is Cryoanalgesia. This is where you locate the damage nerves and freeze them.