Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Aimee

Posted by Terri on 5/09/04 at 21:20 (150305)

I read some of your posts interspersed with John's questions. Thought I'd check in with you.

You're having surgery on the 12th, right? If you're driving a stick I'd say you can forget about driving yourself for at least a minimum of 6 weeks. Any chance you can rent an automatic during that time? Most of us had been forbidden to even put weight on our operated foot for 3 - 5 weeks, then you'll probably be in a boot for another 2 - 4 weeks and going through p.t. during that time.

After all this, you'll have good days and bad days for a while. Yesterday I managed to shop and walk around about 3 hours with some rest breaks, today I had shooting pains all day and can't put any weight on my heel. My surgery was 4 1/2 months ago, but I've had some complications with scar tissue and such. You might be better off looking to trade in your car eventually, learning to take stress off our feet is the best thing we can do for ourselves. Pushing in a clutch is hard work, especially in stop-and-go traffic. I used to always drive a stick, have been in an automatic for around 5 years now.

If you've never had surgery, it's normal to be concerned about anesthesia and such. To help relax you they give you some very nice stuff before you go into the operating room. After that, you wouldn't care if they take off your head! :-) Seriously though, discuss any concerns with the anesthesiologist before surgery. He or she will come in to talk to you, ask a lot of questions (don't lie about your height and/or weight, this is not a time for wishful thinking!) and they are the ones that give you the happy shot in your I.V.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress!