Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yes/no questions - please answer

Posted by Sher A on 5/10/04 at 06:08 (150309)

Please answer these for me they are just simple yes or no questions. I'm frustrated beyond belief and tired of living my life in agony after having tried everything that has been within the limits of my insurance, just short of having my feet cut. Thanks to anyone who answers.

1. Have any doctors you've seen told you that your pain is in your head and otherwise trivialized your condition?

2. In any office visit, has your doctor spent your time telling you about his other patients who really do have serious problems but don't complain as much as you?

3. Have any of your doctors told you that PF is a 'very common problem and that you're no different from everybody else and should be thankful that you don't have something much worse?

4. Has anyone asked for help with the pain and had your podiatrist refuse to treat it, or give you 10 painkillers, seriously believing that you will never need anymore?

5. Does anyone find that the traditional painkillers don't help at all anymore?

6. Are any of you going regularly to a pain management facility?

7. If so, are you being treat satisfactorily?

Re: Yes/no questions - please answer

BrianG on 5/10/04 at 09:46 (150322)

Hi Sher A,

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Yes, most foot docs will not treat PF with long term pain meds
5. Yes, this is why you should seek out a pain management doctor, or clinic. There are many pain meds available, should you decide to go that route.
6. Yes, many posters here take daily pain meds
7. Yes, but I pretty much had to fight for everything I have, thanks to belonging to an HMO.
8. Time for you to look for a new, compassionate doctor, who will treat all aspects of your pain. This doc could be your family doctor, or a doctor trained in treating pain.

Good luck

Pauline on 5/10/04 at 11:23 (150326)

1. Yes the first time I had P.F. by a Physical Medicine doctor.

2. Not in so many words but on a list of 10 serious medical conditions
P.F. rates about 1. Today I can honestly say that because even with
all the pain, suffering and frustration that comes with P.F. I have
a condition that is much worst and I'd trade it in a minute for my
P.F. again.

Having said this, I don't mean to say that P.F. is not worth
taking seriously by a physician nor treating it properly.
In many cases it does go away on its own which is one thin
that I can't say about my new condition nor can many others.

P.F. is most frustrating because in's in the feet and cures
take a long time. There seems to be no good remedy that works
equally well for everyone.

3. Only that it's very common problem. I know first hand there are
worse conditions.

4. More often than not my doctors are more than willing to give out
pain medication like candy. I'm the one that refuses to take it.
I hate taking medications and as a result have suffered with pain
a lot not just from P.F. but from various surgeries and tests.

5. As I say I avoid them as much as possible.

6. I seek no pain control anywhere.

7. Does not apply since I don't and have never been to a pain clinic.

I have to be honest with you. While going through my 3 cases of P.F. I felt the same as everyone here, very frustrated and angry because it seemed to me that in 2004 there should be better medical treatment available for such a simple condition and as we are told seemingly common one.

But I'm here to speak for other people as well who like me are being treated for other conditions and diseases that possibly have no future of hope at all. There indeed are other conditions out there that people like you and I would trade for P.F. in a second.

Life doesn't work that way. All I can say is that each person dispite the illness they suffer with, should be treated with dignity, kindness, honesty, taken seriously, and given as much medical help as available today and if not found in one doctor they should definitely seek the help of another until they feel comfortable.

I definitely hear you and understand your frustration at the medical community.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/04 at 19:10 (150359)

I think your respsonse has certainly helped to elucidate the variation in which doctors use pain meds. You also aptly pointed out that the use of pain meds is not necessarily a good thing when such meds are used as a substitute for finding the cure. Plantar fasciiitis is so VERY curable --- yes ther are intractable cases but that is not the majority of cases. So many of the posters here tend to be individuals who, for some reason, lack sufficient information or the right docs to bring them to the cure. The existence of the site, the Heel Pain Book and the site's contents are quite rich with good information.

BudP on 5/10/04 at 22:31 (150381)

1 no 2 no 3 no 4 yes 5 yes 6 yes 7 yes,pain management dr's are now starting to treat PF. Problem is finding one then finding the right combination of meds.

Kathy G on 5/11/04 at 09:46 (150394)

I won't answer the questions specifically but my answers are positive. No one in the medical community has ever trivialized my condition and my PCP has tried to manage my pain for me. I have had to experiment with painkillers to see which ones work best for me. The only thing that any of my doctors have said is that they just can't understand why I haven't improved more but they have never insinuated that it was all in my head or that the problem doesn't exist.

I've been very fortunate in that my doctors have been understanding and caring, something for which I am very thankful.