Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Trainers

Posted by Dorothy on 5/11/04 at 11:53 (150401)

I am glad to see that the Subject line for the 'Dave Banner' post was deleted. All morning, I have been anxious to have an opportunity to return to the message board to say that I regret having added my reply to Pauline's under that poster's offensive subject. I did want to reply but wished that I had added a new subject and then replied, not associated with that subject...because I am a fan of the Foot Trainer.
Whether that poster has purchased Foot Trainers or not, his point needs to be addressed, because the Foot Trainer device and the exercises can raise questions when you first 'meet' them. If that is the reaction of the new user, then I want to encourage that user to forge ahead and try them as instructed and keep at it. I am glad that I did not return mine and that I kept using them. They helped a lot and if I followed my own advice to others and kept on the (not complicated!) program faithfully, I would probably not have had setbacks that I did - because the FT always foster improvement. They look strange at first and the exercises seem unusual, but the FT and their exercise program are innovative; they're different because they come from an intelligent new approach to a problem. They truly can make a positive difference. Believe me, I have no financial or any other vested interest in this product, other than as a paying customer and FT user. I just write favorably about it because it is only helpful and not at all harmful. There! Now I feel better.

Re: Foot Trainers

Steve G on 5/11/04 at 13:45 (150406)

I am in complete agreement with your post, Dorothy. It takes a while to get used to the routine, but I am glad I bought the FT

Re: Foot Trainers

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/12/04 at 23:19 (150499)

Dorothy and Steve:
I like the foot trainors but not completely for the reasons listed by Mike. I think Mike makes many good points but I beleive that the ultimate deficit in plantar fasciitis lies in the weakness of the intrinsic musculature of the foot. We generally view fascia as a means to support muscle but since the intrinsic musculature of the foot of modern man is so atrophied, what we see is the fascia becoming the main supportive 'strut' for structural integrity (that why cutting it is not a good idea). Strengthening or causing hypertrpohy of the intrinsic musculature of the foot accomplishes two things: 1) transfer tension away from the fascia to the musculature, 2) the musculature being highly vascular tissue (red meat) is a major source of nutrition for the fascia and is thus a factor in maintaining tissue quality of the fascia. The Russians, a while back, presented a paper in which Russian stimulation was used to cure PF. I am convinced that that works. Electodes delivering a fairly stout current, that is, a current strong enough to recruit sufficient muscle fibers causes strengthening of the intrinsic muscle fibers. The stronger the muscles get, the more load bearing tension they can take away from the planatar fascia.

Re: The foot musculature

Julie on 5/13/04 at 02:32 (150503)

Ed, this is really interesting and completely convincing. What you say about the foot musculature and its relation to the fascia makes perfect sense to me. It underscores the importance for PF sufferers of finding and pursuing effective exercises to strengthen and tone these muscles - combined, of course, with effective exercises to stretch and lengthen the calf muscles. Kind of a two-pronged attack on the PF monster. An exciting approach.

Re: The foot musculature

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/13/04 at 20:03 (150545)

I used to get a lot of questions of the nature....'How about those great Olympic runners from Kenya who run barefoot.....? Those are individuals whom, to my best guess, have grown up barefoot with tremendous intrinsic muscle strength.