Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I?

Posted by Jade S. on 5/11/04 at 16:13 (150416)

I was wondering if you think that it would be a good idea to have surgery on my heel because I have pantar facits? Tell Me, Fast!!!!

Re: Should I?

Pauline on 5/11/04 at 20:12 (150436)

Honestly what you don't need is 'fast'. Take some time and read the surgery board for several months along with Scott's P.F. book.

Then take your time, do your homework and then decide. What you do 'fast'
to decide on surgery you may regret 'faster' afterwards.

Nan D on 5/13/04 at 17:01 (150527)

The answer is NO, NO, NO, NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you study everything you can find, you will learn that 99.9% of the time surgery makes things worse!

Ellen D on 5/17/04 at 15:39 (150720)

The success rate of EPF is an interesting subject - particuarly in light of some percentage of people whose problem is worse post-surgery. I had EPF a little over a year ago and, while I am much improved since then, my foot isn't (and possibly never will be) totally as it was before PF. Just as an an aside, the anaesthesiologist (sp?) with whom I had a consultation before the procedure emphasized that this is one of those procedures 'which most often helps but at least doesn't result in an outcome worse than the original problem'. (And the surgery center where I had this done is near a very large city, so presumably there is a reasonable amount of patient data on which to base such a statement).

So, I do wonder wonder what the success rate truly is - perhaps those of us on the boards with lingering problems and/or worse problems aren't representative (or maybe we wouldn't be here?!). Since I have had PF in both feet (fortunately a cortisone injection completely took care of the first one), I honestly wonder what I would do if that first foot became problematic and conservative treatments didn't work.

I guess I'll deal with this when/if the time comes. Since ESWT isn't covered by insurance, I wouldn't be in a position to pursue that, given that it is rather costly, may be required multiple times, and the Canadian clinic that I've read about would result in a lot of travel expense for me. At least my insurance did cover EPF - though I did have to get prior authorization for custom orthotics.

I continue to follow others' experiences so I can try to make a good decision if I'm faced with this again.

Re: Ellen

Steve G on 5/17/04 at 20:39 (150734)

Ellen - the problem with the surgery (and the reason many of us do everything to avoid it) is that it can result in BIG problems. I remember not long after my diagnosis, I read the following post, and it scare the (*&$#* out of me. This poor fellows despair becomes more and more evident as you follow the post

Ellen D on 5/18/04 at 14:15 (150759)

Yes, I agree this is a pretty unsettling post. I guess I went for the surgery because all the conservative treatments for 2+ years (I wasn't even told about ESWT - and couldn't have afforded it anyway) were getting me nowhere (in fact, it was getting worse and worse, even with my having adopted a sedentary lifestyle).

If the likelihood of success is so slim, or the commonly occurring problems so big (presuming these are accurate statements), I really wonder why the surgery is offered. I hadn't discovered this board when I decided to go for surgery, so I'm not sure what I will do when/if the other foot becomes a problem. Yes, this can consume you, and family/friends do get very tired of it and how it ultimately limits so many aspects of daily life.

Are there people out there who have continued with conservative treatment for more than 2 years who ultimately do get better without surgery?. I'm just wondering. It's one thing to reject surgery because things could get worse, but having PF for infinity is not really an appealing choice either.

Pamela R. M. S. on 5/19/04 at 14:09 (150853)

I managed to get over a stubborn, long-term bout with PF with conservative treatment only, and it did take me more than 2+ years. I modified activity, used orthotics and only certain shoes, PFT's, ART, icing, taping, stretching. I didn't have surgery, and ESWT hadn't been approved at the time.

Kristie on 5/20/04 at 17:46 (150924)

Did ART givce you any relief?

Ellen D on 5/21/04 at 11:12 (150955)

Sorry, I don't know what ART is - maybe you could explain for me!?....Thanks, Ellen

Kristie on 5/22/04 at 11:18 (151030)

The message about Art is for Pamela. Art I believe is a type of massage techinque. Pamela did you find ART helpful?

Re: Ellen To Ellen and Jane

BudP on 5/23/04 at 21:29 (151093)

Not all surgeries are failures. I waited for over 2 years after all the conservative treatments. Then decided on EPF surgery in Nov. of 04. I'm 6 months post op. and feel great. I wish I would have had the surgery sooner now. There are many people who have elected surgery EPF and are happy they did also. It is each persons choice.If you feel it's right for you,then don't let others scare you off with horror stories. The success rate is better than the failure rate. Good luck.

Sally B on 5/30/04 at 17:40 (151606)

I too am considering endo surgery for a 2 year case of PF on left foot.
Have tried all conservative treatments including injections, PT, acupuncture, many orthotics, inserts, stretching etc. Had hi density ESWT July 2003 with no measurable pain relief. The only thing I haven't tried besides surgery is chiropractic treatment. Has anyone tried that?

Melanie on 4/04/07 at 23:44 (226816)

I have not done much research on surgery techniques. With regards to the chiropractic treatment I believe you are referring to would be ART. ART stands for Active Release Therapy - it is a type of massage. Chripractors are not the only practitioners who can preform ART, it is just an area of expertise. Some massage therapists also do ART, some physiotherapists.. etc. It involves muscle 'stripping' which releases tension in the surrouding muscles. I have had ART performed on my plantar fasciitis and I found it did help quite a bit.. unfortunately I am a stubborn athlete who wont take the time off to heal completely, so I cannot say that method has proven 100% successful for me. However, it was great for pain control and I noticed a difference after just 15 minutes. I recommend ART for anyone with PF.