Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shock Wave Therapy for PF

Posted by Susan M on 5/11/04 at 19:43 (150428)

I am a 42 year old woman who has suffered from bilateral PF for 8 years. I have tried night splints, PT, injections, three sets of orthodics, massage therapy, reflexology. Four years ago I had surgery on my right foot with a great deal of relief.I am unwilling to have it again on my left. (healing time was excruciating) Tell me about shock wave therapy, its outcomes, general costs, recovery times, etc. Also I have a two year history of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in my upper extremities. Would you recommend this tx for someone with my history?

Re: Shock Wave Therapy for PF

dr ben pearl on 5/14/04 at 04:36 (150559)

you have to weigh the proposed benefit which in someone who has RSD int the upper extremity with may not be as great as someone who does not have this condition versus the risk of doing further harm. You need to make sure yo only have plantar fasciitis. The benefit can take several months and in someone who has had the condition for 8 years the chance of full recovery are less. There may be other options for you and shockwave treatment should not be ruled out once you hav exhausted those options.