Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achilles tendonosis

Posted by patti g on 5/12/04 at 17:45 (150481)

My mri showed tendonsis. My Dr. put me in a removeable cast for 4 weeks. I have had it off for 5 weeks. I am experiencing intermittant annoying pain. Is this a normal response to tendonosis or should I be concerned?

Re: Achilles tendonosis

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/12/04 at 23:08 (150498)

Patti:
Achilles tendinosis can be a vexing problem. Consider an area of achilles tendinosis ot be, essentially, a pre-rupture condition. In other words, it is an area where the achilles has degenerated to the point where a rupture is more likely to occur and thus the sense behind the cast.

The cast may not be a long term solution though. Physical therapy need be aimed at deep tissue massage to stimulate regrowth of good fibers and an agressive program to lengthen the gastrosoleus-achilles complex. If the achilles is not tight it is not likely to tear.

My results using ESWT on achilles tendinosis are nothing short of remarkable.
Ed

Re: ESWT for tenosynovitis of FHL

John Martelo on 5/13/04 at 18:16 (150533)

Dr Ed,

Can ESWT be used for tenosynovitis at the Flexor hallucis longus tendon and where do i go for this treamtnt? Thank you

Dr. Z on 5/13/04 at 18:51 (150536)

Hi

If you truely have a tendinosis, then a cast won't help in the long run. A tendonitis is a different story. Rest will reduce inflamation but won't help to heal a degenerative condition which is what is going on ina tendinosis state

Re: ESWT for tenosynovitis of FHL

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/13/04 at 19:56 (150543)

John:
Yes, BUT, it depends on the location of the problem. There is an area where FHL runs very close to the post. tib. nerve (on the inside of the ankle) so it cannot be used there.
Ed

patti g on 5/13/04 at 20:06 (150546)

Thanks for the info. I do have tendinosis and a nodule aprox. 1-2 cm above the heel. Swimming is the only pain free activity that has worked for me. I have pain about 10-15 min. into running, stationary bike and the elliptor. The pain is worse when I stop. Is this normal for tendinosis? I am not going to physical therapy but, I will call my Dr. about a perscription. Thanks again!