Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone found ESWT to be beneficial for plantar fasciitis?

Posted by kathryn j. on 5/13/04 at 14:10 (150521)

I have bilateral plantar fasciitis. I have gotten steroid injections and pt. but still have a great deal of pain with weight-bearing activites. A technician at the rehab clinic recommended ESWT but my physician is pretty skeptical. Has anyone found this procedure to be beneficial?

Re: Has anyone found ESWT to be beneficial for plantar fasciitis?

Dr. Z on 5/13/04 at 16:52 (150526)

We have found ESWT to be very effective for chronic plantar fasciitis. Does your physician know anything about the ESWT procedure. I would be happy to send him information or direc him to ESWT resources

Angela A. on 5/13/04 at 19:23 (150540)

My NEW pod recently told me that ESWT can be very effective in the beginning stages of PF, but it was never intended for long-lasting, chronic PF. There might be some truth to that considering I've had ESWT twice without success and have had PF for 5 years.

Dr. Z on 5/18/04 at 00:36 (150740)

ESWT is just the opposite. It was indicated ONLY for chronic plantar fasciitis. In the FDA studies the average length of time that the patient had the pf was 22 months with six months being the earliest that ESWT was used. I have treated scores of patients with five years plus duration and have had pain relief. When there is ESWT failure the pf diagnoses needs to be re-evaluated.

Oliver L on 5/28/04 at 17:44 (151506)

Hi,

Has anyone else here heard similar statements? Five years is my going rate...(have not had ESWT, but contemplating it).

Lynn L on 6/01/04 at 19:33 (151741)

Yes I had ESWT April 20, 2004 the first week no pain then for 3 weeks I was back to severe pain. Thankfully I now have no pain. I had pf for over a yr. My Sister had PF for several years. She had bilateral ESWT the Monday before Thanksgiving. She stayed off her feet for 3 days and has never had pain again. Hope this helps