Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

arthritis and PF

Posted by Steve S. on 5/14/04 at 09:33 (150576)

18 months ago I was diagnosed with atypical PF (pain in the arches). After having no success with conservative treatments, I sought a second opinion from a physician, who recommended an MRI. I have been told today that the MRI shows no evidence of PF, but that I have degenerative arthritis. I am wondering what I should make of this new diagnosis. Can PF be confused with PF?

Re: arthritis and PF

Kathy G on 5/15/04 at 09:42 (150631)

Hi Steve,

I'm assuming that you're asking if PF can be confused with OA (osteoarthritis)? I don't think so but the doctors might know. I have both and my arthritis is in my big toes. I also have atypical PF in both feet which causes a great deal of arch pain. Perhaps you, too, are suffering from both.

Did your doctor suggest that you try an anti-inflammatory such as Vioxx or Celebrex? It could help with the arthritis pain.

As you've guessed, I'm not a doctor. Just a PFer cruising the boards. Good luck. I hope you find some relief from your pain soon.

Re: arthritis and PF

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/15/04 at 10:18 (150633)

Steve:
Types of arthritis such as Reiters syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis are infamous for their effects on the heel with a type of pain that often mimicks PF. Osteoarthritis, on the other hand, usually does not mimick the above so i would consider a second opinion.
Ed