Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recently had Plantar Fascitis surgery

Posted by Tom W. on 5/14/04 at 11:59 (150584)

i recently had plantar fascitis surgery (about 7 weeks ago) after trying every conservative treatment known to man and now the pain has transfered to the outside of my foot while the arch has finally alleviated. Im told its the calcaneo cuboid (if i'm spelling it right).... and now i got my first injection in that. Will this ever end? Any stretching recomended or anything to alleviate this pain now? I almost feel like its worse than the original plantar fascitis pain. I think i'm gonna have a nervous breakdown soon as all this foot stuff has been going on for about 2 years now and now the plantar fascitis is getting worse on the other foot. Thanks for any help or advice you may give me!
*tom

Re: Recently had Plantar Fascitis surgery

CarlW on 5/14/04 at 13:08 (150588)

Tom,

Not a doctor, but I had open surgery in November of last year. About 7 weeks after I had massive pain on the outside ankle area of my foot going up the side of my leg. The only stretch that i found that helped it was to lay on my stomach on the floor and tuck my toes under and stay there for up to 20 minutes with the weight of my legs stretching my foot. If that description does not give you enough detail let me know and I will try to re explain.

This lateral pain has subsided alot but the heel is still slowly improving.

Take care,

Carl

Re: Lateral column

SteveG on 5/14/04 at 14:34 (150595)

Tom - the lateral column problem is a common complication from the surgery, and it needs to be treated quickly and agressively. Do a search on 'lateral column syndrome', 'lateral column overload' and you will find info on the nature of the problem, treatment options, etc

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/14/04 at 14:48 (150596)

Tom:
Lateral column pain is not an uncommon complication of plantar fascia release surgery. Treatment includes: injection of the calcaneocuboid joint, manipulation of the joint and, very importantly - modifying your orthotics by raising the lateral (outside) edge of the device. What type of ESWT did you have done?
Ed

Tom W. on 5/14/04 at 15:16 (150598)

I had low energy ewst a long time ago and i didnt do anything so then i opted for a partial plantar fasciatomy (not spelling right). Wow my doctor has said nothing about modifying the orthotic. He just injected the calcaneocubiod and sent me on my way. I am in Physical therapy right now actually.... what should i tell them to do. How should i tell them to manipulate it? Thanks!
*tom

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/15/04 at 10:14 (150632)

Tom:
Manipulative therapy is just one of those things that some practitioners don't beleive in or accept enthusiastically -- it cannot hurt to ask. The orthotic modification is fairly important though and if your practitioner cannot do this, his orthotic lab should be able to --- I beleive that has the potential to help more than just about anything.
Ed

Tommy S on 5/16/04 at 18:25 (150673)

The pain the outside of your foot is caused by the way you are walking now. You are scared to put pressure on the heel, and thus the brunt of your weight is on the outside of your foot. It will take a few weeks for this to go away even after you begin walking normal again. I had the surgery 7 months a go and had the same problem.

debbief on 8/26/07 at 20:25 (234937)

Bull! I had this surgery on my left foot years ago and all was beautiful. I had it in March on my right foot, and now the pain and swelling on the outside of my foot is worse than the spur was. My limp is worse, and Lortabs are all that keep me working (as a waitress). Try again!

Dr. Z ( vacation) on 8/26/07 at 20:40 (234940)

Debbief
While I have seen the complication that you are experiencing not every one will experience this problem. I do agree that the complication is a potential. I am sure your doctor told you that lateral column pain can happen after any type of plantar fascia release. This is one of the reason that ESWT is perferred over pf release. If you were never offered this option you need to express this to your doctor. If you were and your insurance company doesn't cover this FDA approval ESWT procedure. You should write and file a complaint to your senate senator, congressman or attorney general. Not covering ESWT and only covering pf release is a crime that insurance companies need to face the penalty. I hope you find relief. Some times orthosis or taping can help you to same degree. You need a fusion of the calcaneal-cuboid joint to stop your pain. I wish there was more I can offer you