Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by debs on 5/15/04 at 00:58 (150618)

I have dry skin on my feet and experience constant itching on the arches of both feet & several toenails, what should I do? Thinking I had a nail fungal infection, I have tried the nail fungal liquid, which doesn't seem to work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Re: itching

Kathy G on 5/15/04 at 09:37 (150630)

I don't know what the doctors will say but many people are having good luck with using Vicks Vaporub for nail fungus. It takes about three months of use, I guess, but they apply it twice a day. I don't know why it works or if it's longterm but I've met people who swear it worked.

Is the dry skin on the rest of your feet the cause of your itchiness? A good lotion, perhaps one containing Eucerin, or simply one that's very high in Petrolatum would help if used following your shower. I use one right after I've taken my shower and done my yoga stretches for a kind of mini-massage of my feet.

Also consider what type of sock or shoe you've been wearing to make sure that it's letting your feet 'breathe,' especially if you live in a climate that is just now starting to get warm.

I'm sure the doctors will have more scientific suggestions but at any rate, good luck!