Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shes, feet, back, demeanor all well tested

Posted by Dorothy on 5/17/04 at 14:34 (150715)

I spent the entire day yesterday at two graduations. Left home around 7:30 am and returned home late evening. All day spent on feet, on bleachers, in very uncomfortable chairs or walking long distances or standing, on hard surfaces or on soft grassy soil (sinking, sinking...) The weather was absolutely perfect and just a joy. The events were wonderful, emotion-provoking big deals. I spent parts of the past week in some anxiety and trepidation about this day-long test that was to take place yesterday. I did not want to spoil anybody's fabulous, celebratory day with even the slightest grimace of discomfort - so I was worried about it. I wore a Dansko sandal with a Dansko type heel, model 'Margrete'; it's a pretty shoe but supportive and with some cushioning. It works well for some walking. Well, all went well. I did it all, with smiles and enough comfort to make it! What was interesting to me was this - after all my anxiety about 'looking good' and feeling comfortable enough to make it through the day, at the ceremonies I observed feet of audience members. I saw the whole gamut of feet and shoe styles - and I could see the feet that looked liked they were destined for some problems. But I realized how much I was looking at feet and shoes and walking styles and body types.
It was a very happy day and that included my own two feet. My early goal had been simply 'If I can just get through it...' but as it turned out, I more than 'got through it'; I en-joyed it! I was thinking of you all periodically yesterday and hoping you were having, or will have soon, similar surprises in your capabilities.

Re: Shes, feet, back, demeanor all well tested

Suzanne D. on 5/18/04 at 22:12 (150804)

I'm so glad your day was wonderful and that you had the unexpected pleasure of happy feet, Dorothy. How encouraging!

I, too, find myself noticing feet and shoes quite often wherever I go.

Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 5/19/04 at 13:35 (150846)

Yes, and I cringe when I see what some of the young women wear for the sake of style! Unfortunately, many of them were influenced by the show, 'Sex and the City,' in which the stars loved a foreign designer's shoes. I can say it but I wouldn't even begin to spell it. At any rate, they favored very high heeled shoes, many of them slides. Since most of my daughter and daughter-in-law's friends can't afford $600+ for shoes, they wear cheap knock-offs. There's a whole generation of patients for podiatrists in the making.

As for me, I agree with you both. I notice shoes more now but from a different aspect than I used to. I loved shoes and I always counseled my daughter that cheap shoes would spoil any outfit so to go with the best she could afford and keep them in good condition. I must say, she's always been pretty sensible about what she wears and even more so, since my PF. Like me, she loves shoes and like me, she wears acceptably stylish yet sensible shoes. Or at least like I used to wear before I was reduced to running shoes! I hope she doesn't end up with PF like me, however. Since my son had it, I can't help but wonder if there's a heritary physiological factor.

Personally, I hate the shoes that they're all wearing and I hope that now that the show is off the air, some other style will prevail. Can you imagine what it does to their backs?

And I'm glad you had such a nice day, Dorothy! :)

Dorothy on 5/19/04 at 14:35 (150857)

Kathy G ~ Here's my theory on the shoe styles (and related clothing styles) you mentioned - I think they are designed to make women look as much like Barbie dolls as possible. Have you noticed how much those Minola Blanik (I don't know how to spell it either, but never let my ignorance get in my way! :-) ) shoes look like the little plastic shoes that Barbie dolls wear?? So the shoes get higher and only decorative and the skirts get tighter and pretty soon women are hobbled.

Kathy G on 5/20/04 at 09:48 (150905)

That's true! I hadn't thought of it but the shoes look just like the ones that Barbie wears. Isn't it sad that we haven't made any more progress since the late sixties and early seventies? We fought so hard for women's equality but we still have this plastic idea of what women should look like. I'm as guilty of it as anyone. My daughter got called back for the third interview for a job and after congratulating her, my next question was 'What are you going to wear?' I just realized that. That's so bad. I would never have said that to my son! Of course, my son would wear the first thing he put his hand on and my daughter loves clothes but still, I thought I was more enlightened but I guess I still have a long way to go!

She got the job, though, and is awaiting their salary offer. I'm very proud of her. She just started job hunting three weeks ago and the job market is so tight. Sorry, this belongs on the Social Board. I'll stop now!

john h on 5/21/04 at 10:29 (150952)

Kathy: Barbie always looked like a cheap hooker to me. I sure would not take her to the prom.I prefer the more subdued mysterious look. Perhaps a long black formal with pearls, pearl errings, and modest black 2' heels

Dorothy on 5/21/04 at 12:27 (150959)

Oh, John H. - You're winning hearts!

Kathy G on 5/21/04 at 13:43 (150966)

John, we always knew you were a class act!

My daughter wasn't much into Barbies when she was little but she thought she should be. One night, she was sitting on her bed, combing Barbie's hair while I was reading to her. She looked up at me and said, 'You know, I think Barbie is way too skinny and she's kind of homely!'

After I finished the book and said good night to her, I closed her door and did a jig! :D