Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Interesting passage of new law

Posted by Pauline on 5/17/04 at 21:10 (150735)

Wonder how much surgical training Optometrists have to do your next cornea transplant, cataract removal, or retina tear or macular hole repair? Something certainly to check on at least in Oklahoma.

Academy Fights New Oklahoma Law that Could Convert Optometrists to Ophthalmologists

April 30, 2004

WASHINGTON The American Academy of Ophthalmology stands ready to fight the precedent-setting provisions recently signed into law in Oklahoma. With the signing of H.B. 2321 on April 28, optometrists are now permitted to perform eye surgery with scalpels. The bill, which passed both house and senate days after it was introduced, also contains provisions that allow optometry to self-regulate its members.

Re: Interesting passage of new law

john h on 5/18/04 at 10:19 (150751)

No way an Optometrist will perform major surgical procedures on my eyes. An Ophthalmologist spends approximately 13 years in training.

Pauline on 5/18/04 at 10:53 (150753)

It's an interesting concept. Wonder how one makes up for all that extra education and training and goes right into Cornea transplants or Witrectomies without it.

Frightening to say the least. At one time Optometrist were not even able to dilate the eyes let alone remove someones cataract.

Personally I think it's a huge step in the wrong direction. Glad I don't live in OK.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/18/04 at 15:42 (150765)

Pauline:

As always .. 'caveat emptor' -- let the buyer beware. More that ever, one must ask for the credentials of the individual performing a service.

Licensing of professionals has always been a bit peculiar because despite national standards, it is done on a state level with widely varying results. For example, do you know that in the State of Oregon, chiropractors are allowed to perform deliveries? In the State of Washington, 'denturists' can set up shop independent of dentists. The area of hearing aids is really wild because while audiologists (my wife is one) are truly the experts in that area, 'hearing aid dispensers' could buy a franchise such as Miracle Ear or Beltone and sell hearing aids. We know a lady who was a beautician on a friday and selling hearing aids on a Monday.
Ed

Pauline on 5/18/04 at 16:20 (150767)

Dr. Ed,
What's the definition of minor surgery????? They can do that too.

CHIROPRACTIC SCOPE OF PRACTICE: OREGON
Chiropractors in Oregon are licensed to treat the joints of the spine and extremities to restore normal motion, reduce nerve interference and to restore health. The chiropractor is a doctor, meaning that they are authorized to take responsibility for the care of any patient for any condition and make referrals for the care best suited for a particular need. Contrary to popular belief, Chiropractors treat many conditions other than back pain. Chiropractors can take and interpret x-rays, draw blood and perform and interpret laboratory tests, perform physiotherapy such as ultrasound and interferential electric stimulation, prescribe diets designed to address illnesses and allergic reactions, suggest vitamins and herbs for health support, discuss over-the-counter drugs, plan exercise programs, perform injury rehabilitation, and even cast broken bones. Chiropractors do perform physical examinations, school physicals, urinary/proctologic/prostate exams, gynecological examinations, and can sign birth and death certificates. By registering to do so, chiropractors in Oregon can also perform minor surgical procedures and even deliver babies by natural childbirth

Pauline on 5/18/04 at 16:27 (150769)

Their not delivering babies in Mich. Very limited in what they can do.
I'd keep and eye on Oregon. They may be performing EPF surgery there pretty soon.

MICHIGAN COMPILED LAWS ANNOTATED
CHAPTER 333. HEALTH
PUBLIC HEALTH CODE
ARTICLE 15. OCCUPATIONS
PART 164. CHIROPRACTIC

Current through 1997 Regular Session

333.16401. Definitions; principles of construction
Sec. 16401.

(1) As used in this part:

'Chiropractor', 'chiropractic physician', 'doctor of chiropractic', or 'd.c.' means an individual licensed under this article to engage in the practice of chiropractic.
'Practice of chiropractic' means that discipline within the healing arts which deals with the nervous system and its relationship to the spinal column and its interrelationship with other body systems. Practice of chiropractic includes:
Diagnosis, including spinal analysis, to determine the existence of spinal subluxations or misalignments that produce nerve interference, indicating the necessity for chiropractic care.
The adjustment of spinal subluxations or misalignments and related bones and tissues for the establishment of neural integrity utilizing the inherent recuperative powers of the body for restoration and maintenance of health.
The use of analytical instruments, nutritional advice, rehabilitative exercise and adjustment apparatus regulated by rules promulgated by the board pursuant to section 16423, [FN1] and the use of x-ray machines in the examination of patients for the purpose of locating spinal subluxations or misaligned vertebrae of the human spine. The practice of chiropractic does not include the performance of incisive surgical procedures, the performance of an invasive procedure requiring instrumentation, or the dispensing or prescribing of drugs or medicine.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/18/04 at 16:30 (150770)

Pauline:
What I have been told is that when chiros act as the 'family' physician for some people they will go ahead and do a delivery. How they can afford the professional liability premiums for such a practice is beyond me. Keep in mind that the majority of deliveries go smoothly and that is why many people in WA chose nurse midwives. Most of the nurse midwives are affiliated with an OB who is on call if something goes wrong. Still -- it would make me very nervous....
Ed

Pauline on 5/18/04 at 17:09 (150771)

I know that professional liability costs have turned a lot of Ob/Gyn practices into just Gyn. practices, so for a Chiropractor to take this on is beyond me, especially when they can't do any surgery if something goes wrong.

Maybe they enjoy practicing on the edge.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/18/04 at 18:00 (150779)

Pauline:
The people who like 'practicing on the edge' usually go to rural areas where they can do 'everything' because they are the only doc around. Our family practice residency (connected to the podiatry residency where I am an instructor) has a rural medicine fellowship. The students in the fellowship are fascinating individuals, usually very dedicated since they are in for a life of very hard work once out in a rural area. They want to learn 'everything' since they willl need to have a broad knowledge base. They are like 'sponges' and really enjoy soaking up knowledge and tend to be my favorite students.
Ed

Dr. Z on 5/22/04 at 21:12 (151050)

How can I find out what the law is for chiropractors in New Jersey?

Pauline on 5/22/04 at 21:52 (151055)

You can call your local medical licensing board. They should be able to tell you the scope of a chiropractors practice in N.J.