Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain from PF is back, should I try a cast?

Posted by char B on 5/17/04 at 21:27 (150737)

My pain fom PF is back reaaly bad, tried everything, I think I am just going to go get a cast put on so I stay off my feet to give it time to really heal. I'm very active and just cant stay off, that's why I'm thinking of getting a cast put on, I just need to get this under controll it's ruining my life.
Question, by putting a cast on for about 4 weeks and then being totally off of it will this speed my healing up???????????????? Has anyone tried this? HELP?

Re: Pain from PF is back, should I try a cast?

Kathy in Ky on 5/18/04 at 18:38 (150788)

I teach elementary school & have to be on my feet all day standing on concrete. This past fall I wore a removable walking cast on my right foot for about 3 months. (I only took it off to drive, shower & sleep) I think it helped my PF, especially the sharp shooting pains when driving.
My pain went down from a 9-10 to about a 3-4. However, when we moved in March, the stress & hard work caused the pain to come back with a vengance. I've started Yoga exercises again & taking more vitamins, hope this helps.

Re: Pain from PF is back, should I try a cast?

Dr Kiper on 5/21/04 at 10:14 (150949)

Flare ups during the healing of PF is normal, but usually shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to recover and be where you were when the flare up started [in conjunction with stretching, massage etc].

If your PF is back with no relief [providing your activity level has not significantly changed], this would indicate that your improved muscle flexibility is allowing a greater degree of pronation, allowing inflammatory buildup and your orthotics are no longer functioning as well as they should in maintaining their control.

Go back to the doc who made your supports and see if he can adjust them with a little more control.