Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Getting a cast?

Posted by char B on 5/17/04 at 21:29 (150738)

Has anyone tried getting a cast put on? How long did you have it on? Did it heal up your PF? I have it really bad and am thinking of just getting one on so it can really heal. Does this help speed up the healing?
I'm so desperate.......

Re: Getting a cast?

MARK L on 5/18/04 at 06:18 (150741)

If you fit the FDA protcall and have a confirmed diagnosais of Insertional Plantar Fasciitis then you should avail yourself of ESWT done with either of the 2 FDA approved machines- Dornier or Ossatron. The latest double blinded study shows an effectiveness as high as 94%. You have nothing to lose and the expense to you, if your insurance company does not cover it, could be only the fee you negotiate with your doctor. A major ESWT service company, using FDA approved ESWT, currently has a policy of not charging for their technical fee if the patients insurance company does not cover the therapy. If you want more info e-mail me @ <(email removed)>

R C on 5/18/04 at 09:58 (150748)

I tried a hard cast for 4 weeks, then another 4 weeks some time later. For me this approach was successful. If you try this: Do not walk in the cast; don't expect to walk immediately when the cast comes off, but get good physical therapy and continue with crutches a few weeks longer if necessary. Good luck.

char B on 5/18/04 at 20:11 (150794)

How long did you wait till you had it on another 4 weeks, did it not give you releif the first 4 weeks? What kind of cast was it? I have tried eveeeerything, you would suggest this? What are your opinions and advice on getting a cast? Thankyou so much, I'm really desperate.....

R C on 5/19/04 at 08:48 (150823)

The cast was a hard nonremovable cast made of nylon mesh and epoxy (I think). The med tech wraps the mesh around your calf and foot, and within minutes the epoxy hardens. After the first cast came off, my foot seemed worse than ever - what a disappointment. However, the superb doctor explained that the injured tissues should have healed, and healing causes them to contract. Immobilization also causes some loss of flexibility. He felt that the remaining discomfort was caused by the tightness, and sent me to physical therapy accordingly. He was right. After 4 weeks of PT (still on crutches) all of my pain was gone except for one tiny spot on the extreme medial edge of the insertion point of the fascia. Taping daily just about got rid of that, too. One day I had a setback when I had to carry a 25 pound child a fair distance. That's when I went back to the Dr. for 4 more weeks in a cast. The gap was about 18 months.

When cast number 2 came off there was no pain whatsoever - even standing barefoot on concrete. However, as before the healed tissues were very tight. Immediately I started doing my own PT, which involves stretching my toes and foot back with my hand, and vigorously pressing the fascia with the fingers or thumb of the other, elongating the formerly injured tendon. This approach has worked well, as after 5 months of this I am now completely asymptomatic, and can walk a mile, without taping, pain free.

I think this approach is worth discussing with your doctor.

Before you get the cast on, I would advise finding a hobby or activity that can be pursued with you sitting, foot elevated - the boredom can be consuming. Go buy a stack of books and videos, or take up Mah Jong, whatever. I would also recommend getting some dietary advice so that there is no weight gain from the forced inactivity. Keep a pair of 5 pound dumbbells near your TV remote, and do a few reps during commercials.

Good luck --

R C