Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Zuckerman, DR Davis, DR Wander and DR Pearl Please provide opinion

Posted by John Martello on 5/18/04 at 18:17 (150785)

DPM,

2 questions:

Can tenosynovitis of the flexor hallucis longus and flexor digitorum longus present with pain even at rest? because that is my situation.

Also what is your expert medical opinion on surgical success rate of a tenosynovectomy along with tarsal tunnel releaase of the FDL AND FHL tendons for tenosynovitis? My orthopaedic presented this surgery to me after 7 months of conservative treatment and I would like more opinions.

thank you !

Re: Dr Zuckerman, DR Davis, DR Wander and DR Pearl Please provide opinion

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/19/04 at 14:55 (150860)

John:
You need to go back to the fundamentals before going further with surgery.
Inflamed tendons can hurt with rest but it is overuse, possibly a biomechanical fault that stirs them up. I have listed the standard means by which orthotics can be effective for these problems. They are simple, tried and true methods with relatively high success rates and you really need to try them first.
Ed

Re: RAY Cut skive? Orthotic?

John on 5/20/04 at 19:52 (150930)

DR DAvis where can i find this type of orthotic, because i was told by my pedorthist he was unaware of it? It there a website i can order from?

Re: RAY Cut skive? Orthotic?

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/04 at 15:12 (150975)

John:
This is not something that one orders from a website. A kirby skive is a construction detail of an orthotic -- it is either in the orthotic or it is not. I would deal with a professional who has an understanding of this.
Ed