Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Randy Moss Update

Posted by Robert J on 5/18/04 at 22:34 (150805)

Just to pick up on John's posting about Randy Moss' PF, here's a recent update from an online sports mag. I know everyone on these boards will appreciate the coach's last unforgettable line...

Two things were certain about Randy Moss' appearances on the practice field at the Vikings minicamp. First, he is still not running at full speed while he continues to battle plantar fasciitis. Second, he is considerable heavier this year than when we last saw him on the field against the Cardinals.

While Moss and coach Mike Tice have both dismissed the injury as something he can fight through, the questions persist -- to the point of irritation to Moss.

'I don't care if I'm 85 percent, if I'm 100 percent, 50 percent or whatever percentage I am,' Moss said Friday. 'I'm going to play.'

Tice echoed those sentiments earlier in a conversation with VU, saying that Moss has suffered through the injury since the middle of last season and his production didn't drop.

'Maybe that's one of the advantages of being a coach who was a player,' Tice told VU. 'I had plantar fasciitis for an entire season and I played through it. It hurt like hell, but you can play through it.'

Re: Randy Moss Update

goose on 5/19/04 at 07:38 (150815)

I live in Minneapolis and I have to thank our professional teams for making my condition well known...

Minnesota athletes who have recently battled plantar fasciitis...

Twins - Shannon Stewart
Vikings - Randy Moss & Jimmy Kleinsasser
Timberwolves - Wally Szczerbiak
Team in Training - me!

g

Jamie on 5/19/04 at 08:07 (150821)

This condition really does slow a person down. 6 months ago i was running a consistent 4.5 40 (good days it would be a 4.48). After pf, my time went down to a 5.8. Finally its just now beginning to come back up but it has been terrible. It takes away your balance too. It caused me to over compensate on my left foot thats affected causing me shin splints and knee pain. It really has been a bitch!! It also takes away from your agility. Basically, it takes away from any athletic ability you may have and it is nearly impossible to run through that pain. Once i accelerate to very top speed when i was sprinting it would feel as if someone was twisting a knife around in my heel over and over. Randy Moss is not an extremely strong physical player, mainly he uses his height and speed as his primary weapons so this has to be a devistating injury to his game. Its almost almost like after you get this injury you have to learn how to run in proper form all over again too.

Buck T. on 5/19/04 at 09:20 (150825)

Hi everyone: Was wondering if pro teams have treatments for pf that might help us. Also, this condition is something one might not be able play through. It can get progressively worse without help of some kind.

Buck

john h on 5/19/04 at 09:43 (150828)

Buck: I know and on occasion talk to some of the pro basketball players including Corliss Williamson (Pistons) and Scotty Pippin. I have asked them some questions and they really know less than most of us. When they get something like PF they do not necessarily tell the coach or management as it could effect their career and playing time. they told me most of the players wear orthotics and a number of them have PF. Some have gone to Canada for ESWT. Like the rest of us they search for a cure but tend to play with pain if possible.

Kathy G on 5/19/04 at 13:43 (150847)

I can't even imagine what they do so that these guys can play. They must have so much lidocaine in their feet. I know that they play with pain on a regular basis, but for someone to jump on hard floors as they do in basketball or run full-tilt the way Randy Moss has to must be incredibly painful.

You're right, John, they are very evasive about PF in sports. Of course, here in NE, Coach Bill Bellichick doesn't report any injury until the last possible minute.

I remember reading an article about how many professional teams require their players to wear orthotics, foot problems or not. I can't remember if you told me about it, John, or if it was my son. I think it should be madatory gear from college sports on up. I'd say from high school sports on up but most high schools couldn't afford it.

Buck T. on 5/20/04 at 10:11 (150907)

Thanks, John. Don't know how they play with this condition. Maybe they are like the rest of us who just try to go on with it. Take care,

Buck

john h on 5/21/04 at 10:25 (150951)

Randy who normally runs a 4.5 and now can only run a 5.5 may have his head torn off by some free safetys. He said he rested it for three months. I wonder what resting it means to Randy Moss? Sprinting only 5 times a day instead of ten? Here is a guy making 10 mil plus a year and it is probably not guaranteed. Besides he pain of PF he has he pain of 10 mil to deal with. A good question is what would any of us pay or give up to be 100% cured of PF forever?

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/04 at 17:29 (151143)

Kathy:
Take a look at the walls (with pictures and autographs) of the Sonorex Treatment Center in Vancouver, B.C. and you will see where many or our basketball players have been.
Ed

Dr. Z on 5/24/04 at 18:45 (151153)

Isn't Vancouver somewhere in New Jersey???

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/25/04 at 14:35 (151219)

David:
If you get a chance for a good vacation, I would put Vancouver high on your list. It is a beautiful city and a great place (like Seattle) to be in the summer as it is dry, sunny and the temp. tends to stay in the mid-70's. There is a lot of cool stuff around that region like Vancouver Island. The Province of British Columbia is a major vacation spot for Canadians, maybe a bit under visited by Americans. Some of it is referred to as the Canadian 'Riviera.' We have had the advantage of a favorable exchange rate which makes things very reasonable price wise.
Ed