Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

JOHN H. - SNAKES!!

Posted by Dorothy on 5/19/04 at 01:46 (150810)

John H. - If you are out there - I heard a news report today on Canadian Broadcasting radio that was an interview with a man in Little Rock, Arkansas. His name is Paul Mitchell and he had spotted a box with the label 'Live Venomous...' - he couldn't read the word at the bottom because it was hidden by the grass - by the side of the road he was travelling. He was curious but went on to get his friend; they returned and examined the box which said 'Live Venomous Reptiles'. Anyway, I'll make this short - it was a box containing four or five of the world's deadliest snakes (black mamba, green mamba, cobra, and one called a twig snake - one I've never heard of before) and no anti-venin in Arkansas for these snakes. Leaving out all the details, I'll just say they got to a herpetologist at the LR Zoo who IDd the snakes and they tracked down the snakes' origins and destinations (Florida and a zoo in Texas) and the snakes were sent on their way. This was an intriguing story and raised a number of questions for me, such as WHY were the snakes in a box on the side of the road in Arkansas? Is Arkansas usually considered on the route between Florida and Texas??? Do you know any more about this story, being Our Man in Little Rock??

Re: JOHN H. - SNAKES!!

john h on 5/19/04 at 09:54 (150831)

Dorothy: they still do not know where the snakes came from. they were in good health. they were taken to the Little Rock Zoo and will be transferred to a larger zoo who is better equipped to handle these type of reptiles. at least who ever lost or disposed of those snakes wrote in very large letters that the box contained dangerous reptiles. good think a small child did not find them.

john h on 5/19/04 at 09:56 (150832)

Arkansas is in the dead center of the state with I-40 to Dallas and I-30 to Oklahoma City. Much to far north for someone traveling from Florida to Texas.

john h on 5/21/04 at 10:14 (150948)

Dorothy: Continuation of the 'Snake Saga'. An unidentified Australian was found dead in his van a day after the snakes were found. He was relatively young and there is no apparent cause of death. There is speculation he may have been the owner of the snakes. There is an ongoing autopsy. One question being asked is can a snake bite through the sacks you tpically see them held in. The answer is yes.

Dorothy on 5/21/04 at 12:39 (150961)

Oh my goodness! That story just gets more and more amazing. Keep us informed, will you?