Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Needle in my foot.

Posted by BETTYH on 5/19/04 at 19:35 (150884)

I stepped on a needle and it broke off in my foot. The doctor wants to leave it in but it has been over a month now and it is all swoolen and red also very sore. What do you think I should do?

Re: Needle in my foot.

Pauline on 5/19/04 at 21:39 (150888)

Betty,
I have two questions for you.

1. What good reason did he give you for wanting to leave a needle in your foot?

2. Under the circumstance that you describe that sounds like inflammation and possible infection did you ever think of getting a second opinion?

Jamie on 5/20/04 at 12:47 (150909)

With all the places out on the net to buy bachelor, masters, and doctorate degrees it seems alot of quack pot doctors will keep popping up everywhere. What in the %$#@ would the doc want to leave a needle in your foot for??? Especially with it being in your foot, it will constantly move around with every step you take forever and ever.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/23/04 at 13:48 (151079)

To all:
Removing needles can be a good or bad idea so I would not jump to the conclusion that the doc was necessarily wrong in his initial decision.

I have removed needles with great ease; sometimes with the aid of fluoroscopy, sometimes with the aid of sonography. There are times that needles, if small can migrate and be difficult to remove. I have had a few that I could not get to without causing a lot of damage and wisdom dictated that it was better to leave it in than have to perform extensive dissection in order to remove it. The human body is not like a car -- one does not just take it apart and put it back together again with the assumption that all will be alright.

If a needle causes redness and inflammation it probably needs to be removed. That redness and inflammation at times represents the body's recaction to the foreign body and actually makes it easier to find the needle.
Ed

Dr. Z on 5/23/04 at 16:10 (151084)

Hi

You need to ask questions. If there is an infection and or rejection reaction going on that an attempt needs to made to remove te foreign body. There are times it just can't be removed without too much trauma but this is rare with fluroscope and ultrasound.