Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New to Board/Many qs

Posted by Frank on 5/21/04 at 20:04 (150999)

Im new here. have read much of this site and am thankful i found it. Here is my situation. I have had heel pain for three years. Originally, a Pod told me it was PF but I have never had the typical 'tearing' pain when you get up in the morning. Rather my pain is dull and deep and tends to hurt more the longer I am standing. So i am not convincd PF is the proper diagnosis.I've read alot about people hear saying they never go barefoot. I walk barefoot in my house all the time without pain. The pain would come if I stopped walking and just stood in one place for a few minutes. I have had 2 cortisone shots(no help),3 custom orthotics(the rigid ones definitely made the pain worse) and physical therapy. i finall went away from the orthotics and just try to find comfy shoes. I wear new blance and am considering buying NAOTS. If anyone has any feedback on my symptoms or anything else would appreciate it

Re: New to Board/Many qs

Kathy G on 5/22/04 at 09:10 (151024)

Hi Frank,

I suggest you read Scott's Heel Pain Book and peruse the postings on this site to get some more input. You can put in key words to bring up posts on various subjects, to make it easier.

I hate to tell you but it sure sounds like PF to me. Some people, me included, never get that morning pain. My pain is mainly in my arches though as time went on, it progressed to my heels. But the morning is never a problem. Standing for any amount of time could be awful and on bad days, it still is. But I'm happy to report that my PF has reached a manageable stage and yours will, too. You just need to find the right combination of treatments that work for you. That's where the book and these boards come in. Some of us used ice, some heat. Pretty much, everyone stretches and if you click on Julie's Yoga stretches, you'll find the stretches that many of us prefer. And the majority of us benefited from rest, which required much patience on our parts! There are also orthotics, Birkenstocks, night splints, ESWT. You name it, you'll see it mentioned here.

The main thing to remember is that no two cases of PF are alike and that the majority of people either completely get over it or get to a more manageable level.

As for barefoot, I never went barefoot before I had PF so I don't now but I do know that those who did, found that in the long run, they benefited from never going without shoes. I think everyone would tell you to stop going barefoot.

Good luck to you and please don't hesitate to ask questions. We have some very smart people who post here.

Re: New to Board/Many qs

lauriel on 5/24/04 at 12:04 (151117)

HI - I am kind of the same boat you are. I dont have the typical pain most pfrs have but I have been diagnosed they are making the back of my calfs so tight, andhas to make my pf worse by shrinking the muscles. mY pain is in my arch and ihave places about the size of a pencil head that are extremley painful. I have read here there is atypical pf and that could be what you have

I just found Naot brand shoes in feb and just love them. I have a pair of clogs and am going to order another pair. People really like birks but they just kill me! I also found Anna tech brand shoes great too. I have a local stoe that carries them.