Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pf relaese surgery and sciatica pain

Posted by Kristie on 5/23/04 at 15:40 (151081)

I had PF release surgery on MAY 7th. I was hoping it was going to help my sciatica problem. Has anyone had or had sciatica problems with their PF. When you look at Western medicine charts the sciatica nerve ends in the interior part of your foot where the PF begins. Interesting.

Re: Pf relaese surgery and sciatica pain

MARK L on 5/23/04 at 17:12 (151086)

If you have any reduction in sciatica discomfort it would most likely come from restoring a natural gait. PF pain can cause a cycle of pain-pathological movement-more pain-more pathological movement-etc. Remove the PF pain and you break the cycle, and pain in parts of the foot, the other foot, hip, etc could be relieved.

Kristie on 5/24/04 at 08:40 (151101)

Thank Mark,

That makes a lot of sence and gives me a lot of hope.

john h on 5/25/04 at 11:07 (151194)

A recent study of back pain clearly shows the relationship between your emotional well being and how much your back hurts. Hives, acne, and many other problems are well documented to be caused or accentuated by stress. Under stress you release heavy does of adrenlin and other substances into your body and they can do all sorts of things. How many people have you known that could get so stressed out with final exams they would throw up or have terrible stomach problems. To many people try to retain the stress inside bottled up. If your kids or husband is driving you crazy find something to help relieve the stress. Some people do it with heavy exercise. Some with talk thearpy. Some kick their dog or cat. Do something (not the dog or cat). Even this board is a very good way to get it all out.

john h on 5/25/04 at 11:13 (151195)

Kristie: Having had a bad back and surgery 23 years ago and PF for 9 years do not expect PF surgery to help your sciatica. Sciatica is most often caused by a nerve being irritated or compressed in the lumbar region of the spine. Sometimes this can be detected with an MRI but sciatica and low back problems are often as difficult to cure as PF. I did find PF made my low back pain worse because it stopped me from all the daily exercise and running that I once did. As long as I could do that my back remained under control. When your leg starts to get numb or you cannot walk on your toes or heels it is time to seriously address your sicatica.

Kristie on 5/26/04 at 12:42 (151305)

Hi John,

Thanks John for your help. Your right about stress affecting how you feel. I went to see someone to talk to last summer when things got really bad after I had ESWT and it didn't seem to work for me. It help a lot and definitly going to the gym helps my mood. There's something about working out that realeses chemicals that make you feel better.

I was and still am and hopefull that having the PF realese surgery will help my sciatic pain. Weather it from being able to work out more or release of the interior nerve. Thanks for the info.