Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF relaese surgery and sciatica pain

Posted by Kristie on 5/23/04 at 15:41 (151082)

I had PF release surgery on MAY 7th. I was hoping it was going to help my sciatica problem. Has anyone had or had sciatica problems with their PF. When you look at Western medicine charts the sciatica nerve ends in the interior part of your foot where the PF begins. Interesting

Re: PF relaese surgery and sciatica pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/04 at 17:51 (151148)

Kristie:
The sciatic nerve ends on the outside of the heel with its sural branch but sensation and nerve supply is brought to the heel by branches of the posterior tibial nerve which is the nerve on the inside of the heel and ankle.
Ed

Kristie on 5/24/04 at 18:24 (151152)

Thanks Dr. Davis,

The doctor relaesed the interior nerve on May 7th. But I'm still feeling some sciatic pain. I was hoping it was going to feel better after the surgery. Do you think it form me sitting all the time? It seems to flare up when I have foot pain. Like today I fell and am having foot and scaitic pain.

Thanks for the info,

Kristie

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/25/04 at 14:24 (151217)

Kristie:
There may be no connection at all. The one thing to watch out for is that plantar fascial releases cause some weakening of the foot since the plantar fascia does act as a strut to suuport the arch. Some patients compensate by shifting weight to the outside of the foot to compensate -- that can aggravate sciatica.
Ed