Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

referred pain with "heel spurs"

Posted by Valerie D. on 5/24/04 at 10:29 (151105)

I have been diagnosed with 'heel spurs' on both feet. Lately I have been experiencing moderate pain in my legs(back of calves and ankles). My feet now ache so bad, especially at night, I can't sleep. Is this all related to the spurs or am I missing another diagnosis? I am 48 years old and am constantly on my feet. I have been a nurse for 28 years.....maybe that's what the problem is!!!! I am very active outside of work and not overweight. What am I in for??
Thanking you in advance!

Re: referred pain with "heel spurs"

BrianJ on 5/24/04 at 15:36 (151129)

Valerie --

PF (heel spurs) can cause all of the symtoms you're having, but there is no substitute for a thorough doctor examination and appropriate testing. See a rheumatologist to rule out systemic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. See a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon to make sure you don't have fractures or other structural problems. See a neurologist if there's a possibility of nerve entrapment. In the end (just my guess), I think you'll find that you have PF and you must rest your feet more in order to feel better. The more you're on your feet, the more they will hurt, even when you're NOT on your feet.

Re: referred pain with "heel spurs"

BrianJ on 5/24/04 at 19:51 (151160)

P.S. --

Yes, I do know there's a 'P' in 'symptoms.'

Re: referred pain with "heel spurs"

Peter A on 5/25/04 at 15:53 (151229)

A suggestion: I know someone here who had an array of foot problems similar to yours (but much more severe). She saw several podiatrists and other doctors, but made little progress. She then saw an orthopedic surgeon who told her that no-one had looked at the WHOLE problem, but had been trying to treat only one part of it. With his help she got quite a bit better. So if you suspect more than a single problem, you might want to see an othopedc surgeon who can look at and treat the whole combination of problems.