Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock Tatami footbed = arch pain?

Posted by Audrey H. on 5/24/04 at 11:50 (151116)

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I have been suffering from PF on and off for over five years, and it's been much worse as of late. I'm seeing a new podiatrist, and I have high hopes that he can work with me to cure this.

Anyway, I recently purchased a couple of new pairs of Birkenstocks. I believe one of the reasons my PF has been so severe as of late is due to the change in my foot size after pregnancy (and my hesitancy to go buy new shoes: stupid, stupid, stupid). I purchased a new pair of Arizonas to wear around the house and on weekends, and a pair of Karas (http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Products/Style.cfm/id.240520040934-601990/style.Kara/collectionsub1.Fixed%20Footbeds/collection.Tatami/ss.1) which have the Tatami footbed, to wear at work. I've only been wearing the Karas for short periods of time, and they feel good when I have them on, but the last few mornings, my left arch has been KILLING me! Does anybody have any input as to the appropriateness of the Tatami footbed? Am I just being impatient during the break-in period? I'm wondering if I should take these shoes back and just get a note from my podiatrist so I can wear the Arizonas at work.

Re: Birkenstock Tatami footbed = arch pain?

Suzanne D. on 5/24/04 at 17:22 (151141)

Hello, Audrey, and welcome! :) I'm sorry your foot pain has been worse lately and hope that the new dr. you are planning to see will be able to help you.

I looked up the Kara shoe at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com . It certainly is pretty! I clicked on 'footbed information' for that shoe, and it explained that the Kara is one of the high-arch Tatami Birks which has a higher arch than the classic footbed (which is what your Arizona has). Perhaps this higher arch is bothering you. Do your feet tend to be flat?

Maybe you could take the shoes with you when you see your new dr. and ask him what he thinks.

There are so many different Birkenstock footbeds that it can boggle the mind to try to keep them straight! And the company is constantly adding new styles and types which is nice, but that also can be confusing. I have learned a great deal by reading on such sites as the Birkenstock Express site which I mentioned above and from reading catalogs I receive in the mail.

Good luck to you! I hope this helps a little.
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/24/04 at 18:06 (151150)

To begin with, there are several different Tatami footbeds. Suzanne is right; the Kara has the high arch Tatami footbed.

The high arch Tatami footbed is helpful to some people, and not helpful to others. It's not as helpful for most people as the 'classic footbed' found in Arizonas, Floridas, Granadas, Bostons, and many other styles.

I like the high arch Tatami footbed for variety. I am one of the few here who really do like it. It's not just that the arch is high; also the 'bumps' in the footbed feel like they are placed differently, and sometimes that is just what my feet need. However, I wear the classic footbed at least as much as the high arch footbed.

I usually suggest that people start with the Arizona... most people like that (classic) footbed better than the high arch footbed. I don't know whether or not you should return your Karas. I guess that is up to you.

Are you are walking too much lately? That could make your arch hurt, for sure.

Also, breaking in two pairs of Birkenstocks at once seems like a lot to ask of one's feet. Maybe you could break in the Arizonas, wait a couple of weeks, and then try again to break in the Karas. (?)

Carole C

Audrey H on 5/24/04 at 21:07 (151164)

Thanks for your responses! Yes, I do have flat feet, and I'm not sure the Tatami high arch footbed is going to work for me. I also think I wore them too much over the weekend.

I believe I will break in my new Arizonas first, but until my arches feel better, I'm sticking to my old ones.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/24/04 at 21:27 (151166)

That sounds like a good plan! I hope your arches are feeling better soon. :)

Carole C