Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Got my 2nd opinion today!

Posted by Karen C. on 5/24/04 at 19:45 (151159)

As many of you have said, a negative NCV does not rule out Tarsal Tunnel. I saw a new Orthopedic Surgeon today. On physical exam and X-ray, he agreed that I do have TT. He suggested surgery right away before it gets much worse. Over the past few days my leg and foot have been tingling like they were asleep. This is the same feeling I get with my carpal tunnel. I'm assuming that means that I'm having more compression. Like the doc before him, he also said that I would be off of my feet for 3 weeks and walking by 6 weeks. I took that with a grain of salt. My goal is to be back on my feet well by the time my son starts Kindergarten in the Fall. Please someone tell me that's a possible goal!!!!!!!

Karen

Re: Got my 2nd opinion today!

Terri on 5/24/04 at 20:36 (151162)

It sounds about right, most of us were given and adhered to roughly the same time frame allowed up and about with crutches or walkers the 1st week of surgery for bathroom only. You'd be surprised how inventive you can become. A wheelchair is a necessity! I used mine for just short of a month and got the leg extensions to keep my foot elevated...VERY IMPORTANT !! After that you graduate to a boot. I wasn't allowed to put any weight on it for the 1st week, then went to 50% of my weight the next week, finally able to do full weight the next week. All in all, it was about 2 full months before I got into a sneaker and could go without any crutch or support. And that's if you don't have any set-backs. You have to take this recovery very slowly and don't push it.

Claire on 5/25/04 at 02:25 (151173)

Hi Karen. I had the operation two months ago and returned to work yesterday. Just take it really easy and don't push yourself too much. I still have lots of swelling around the scar, apparently it can take 3-4 months for the swelling to disappear. Good luck.

lauriel on 5/25/04 at 11:02 (151192)

Good luck Karen, I was non weight bearing for 4 weeks and only had crutches, what a pain! If you can get a wheel chair do it. Fall sounds about right, it took me several months to recover, I was still using crutches on and off 3 months after

Laurie