Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm Back!

Posted by Necee on 5/26/04 at 02:36 (151262)

We got home from our trip to Alaska on Saturday evening, I must tell ya'll, I didn't want to come back!

It was awesome, the scenery was unbelieveable.
We sailed out of Seattle and had beautiful weather the whole time. We took a float plane trip one day and flew over Misty Fjords, we landed on a remote lake in the mountains, and walked around on an island before flying back to board the ship.
In Junneau we went to the Mendenhall Glacier, and in Skagway we rode the White Pass scenic train, along the ride we saw waterfalls, snowcapped mountains, and rocky cliffs.
Our last port was Prince Rupert, BC. There we went on a whale watching excursion, we saw lots of whales spouting, then all of a sudden a humpback whale shot out of the water like a missle, he rolled on his side (breaching), then made the biggest splash I ever saw in my life! Everyone was watching in another direction when he came out of the water, so the only ones who saw this whale was the guide and myself. I was thrilled, that was one thing I just had to see before leaving Alaska.
We went through Tracy Arm and got to see Sawyer Glacier, as well as a calving iceberg.
I absorbed as much as I could, the sun was up at 4:30 and didn't set until after 10:00 at night, so we spent lots of hours on the ships deck watching all the beautiful scenery pass by.....it was wonderful.
The only complaint I have was standing in long lines to embark and disembark, that was a disaster! Thank goodness I was wearing my Birks.
Anyway, I could go on and on......but I'm sure ya'll have better things to do.

Happy trails....

Re: I'm Back!

wendyn on 5/26/04 at 08:07 (151271)

Necee, when I was in Boston 2 weeks ago - I had to plan my sight seeing around how early the sun goes down there. We are accustomed to being outside till 10 or later in the evening (at this time of year). In Boston it was dark by around 8:30. I think we just take our long summer nights for granted (but we do pay for it in the winter)

Re: Wendyn and Necee

Kathy G on 5/26/04 at 08:24 (151273)

That's one of the things my family loved about vacationing at Prince Edward Island! The children could go out and play after dinner, even go for a swim! That was so unusual for us and we just loved it.

Did you have fun in Boston? Were you here for the unseasonably hot days we had? It hit ninety five a couple of days. Mostly, though, we've had dreadful rainy, cold weather that is definitely unusual. May flowers are supposed to follow April showers but we just keep having rain. Some of my flower buds are actually rotting on the bush before they bloom. They need some heat and sun to burst forth and it ain't happening.

I'm so glad the cruise was all you had hoped it would be. It sounds like you saw everything! We enjoy hearing about it! You were lucky you were looking in the right place when that whale appeared!

Re: Kathy

wendyn on 5/26/04 at 13:15 (151313)

Kathy, we had dry weather the week that I was there (May 7 to the 14). On the Sunday, I came down with some HORRIBLE bug....fever, chills, cough, stuffy nose, sore ears, sore throat. I woke up Monday morning to a beautiful view of the Charles River from my bed and decided that it was a nice place to die. For several days I thought I might.

Needless to say, I didn't do much for a few days. I made it through the course during the day (thankfully it was in the same hotel) but I passed out right afterwards. I think on the Tuesday it was 85, but that was the day I was really sick and never even went outside. So, the my long answer to your question is - yes, I think it was quite nice while I was there.

We are going back to Boston in July for a family vacation, so I am hoping for good weather and better health for that trip!