Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking after surgery

Posted by Kristie on 5/26/04 at 12:51 (151307)

I had PF release surgery on May 7th. I will have been in a cast for about three weeks and am having it removed next week. For people who have had this surgery did they use your crutches afterwards? How long until they were able to walk normally?

Re: Walking after surgery

april l on 5/27/04 at 07:50 (151361)

Well, I wasn't casted and I walked after the initial 3 days off my feet after surgery. I did not have crutches. My doctor wanted me up and walking around. I'm guessing that after being in a cast for three weeks, it might be more painful to walk because your muscles were all kept in the same position. But then again it might be easier since your fascia was being stretched out for three weeks. I am curious to know how it goes for you. My doc was considering casting me but decided not to, and I wondered if it would have been beneficial.

Kristie on 5/27/04 at 09:00 (151367)

Did you also have PF release surgery? How are yo feeling now? I'll keep you posted.

april l on 5/27/04 at 11:37 (151386)

Yes, I had EPF surgery on my left foot last august. I still have some pain in my arch...it still feels tight at times. Stretching is what helps the most and I spend at about an hour a day watching TV with a scarf around the bottom of my foot, pulling it towards me to keep the fascia stretched. I went into the surgery fully expecting a long recovery because 7 yrs ago I had the same surgery on my other foot. It took so long to recover from that surgery that I thought it was a failure. But eventually I became 100% pain free. One thing I noticed is that when I stretch that foot (the one that is totally cured), I can't feel my fascia at all. There is no tense band like in my other foot. A different doctor did that surgery so I don't know if it's because maybe he cut more, if not all of the fascia. Anyway, I am very happy that I had the surgery, and I am almost completely pain free at this point. My doctor told me 6 months to a year to see results, he was right.

Barb C on 5/27/04 at 20:50 (151427)

Hi Kristi,
I have had open release on both feet (7/02 and 10/02). For both surguries the post op instructions were the same. I went home in like a night splint, 2 days later was put into a 'boot'. Was not allowed to even put the foot down for the first 4 weeks. Then I spent about 2 weeks still on both crutches but slowly increasing the amount of weight I put on the foot (in the boot). Then about 2 weeks on 1 crutch in good shoes with orthotics. By the time I got off the crutch I was walkng pretty normally. My foot would get tired and a little achey if I overdid it, but NEVER felt as bad as it did prior to surgery. I feel 100% cured, and would say it took a full year.
I pray you have the same success I did. These surguries gave me back my life.

Kristie on 5/28/04 at 08:54 (151461)

I'm so happy for you. Sorry it took so long but it was well worth it.

dave r on 5/28/04 at 12:29 (151481)

I was in a cast for two weeks, and a week later in my tennis shoes. To walk normal took a few more months. To be pain free took a year and a half!

raymond m,l. on 7/13/04 at 15:34 (155343)

i had open planter release 5 weeks ago im able to walk a hour tops when i walk its feels like i have a ball under my foot and my foot gets tired easy but its getting better every day a lot of the pain from surgery is gone