Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

BC/BS no longer covering eswt

Posted by Paula A on 5/26/04 at 18:19 (151337)

I'm really upset. I was informed that as of July 17th HighMark Blue Cross and Capital Blue Cross in PA. will no longer pay for ESWT. I had a Bilateral treatment and also a retreat which is at this time 100% successful. I'm worried about the future if this PF should come back. I've already voiced my objections to my insurance co. but they are following Medicare. Is there anything else I can do!!!

Re: BC/BS no longer covering eswt

Dr. Z on 5/26/04 at 19:19 (151339)

I received the same notice but there was no explanation. You might be able to have the treatment done in New Jersey where we would bill the local blue shield carrier Horizon which covered ESWT.

Re: BC/BS no longer covering eswt

Oliver L on 5/28/04 at 17:37 (151505)

I have the same insurance (Capital Blue Cross) and was similarly disappointed to learn I had 'missed the boat' on covered treatment (although it sounds like you got coverage the first time)...I also called them to find out more and was told the procedure was 'reclassified as experimental' or something like that...

Anyway (I may have the procedure done in Germany this summer, but if not,) I was thinking we could both make a mental note if we hear anything about Capital BC changing their policy, and drop one another an email. LMK

Re: Aetna refused

Leigh S on 6/02/04 at 16:40 (151814)

I just received my letter from Aetna refusing ESWT--calling it an 'experimental' procedure. So, I can have the more invasive surgery that will cost them more, continue nickel and diming them with continual dr visits, therapies, etc., or potentially get sedetary lifestyle-related diseases, that they will cover. Or I can pay for it myself but what are the insurance implications in the rare event that there should be a problem resulting from ESWT. I don't understand...