Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and stiff toes?

Posted by JenL on 5/26/04 at 20:44 (151348)

Hi all,
I hope someone out there can help!
I've tried everything for my chronic PF... Then, I had bunion surgery six months ago, because the doc thought it would improve my gait,thus improving my feet in general. I've had PF and bunion problems for 3 years. Now my big toes are really stiff, even after physical therapy, and the PF is getting worse.

Questions for anyone who can help-
1- Anyone out there have a similar situation?
2- I am considering buying a pair of Birks but am not sure if they would help, considering my PF seems to be a result of stiff big toes and high arches. Any advice?

Re: PF and stiff toes?

JenL on 5/26/04 at 20:51 (151349)

By the way, I should add that I am an 'atypical', the pain exists in the arches and radiates throughout the entire foot... It doesn't hurt in the morning but KILLS by the end of the day.

Ed Davis, dPM on 5/29/04 at 14:53 (151562)

Keep in mind that the plantar fascia attaches to two ends, like a rope. Everyone is focused on the heel attachement but the distal attachement is more diffuse with much of it being behind the big toe. As such, a stiff beig toe can definitely make PF worse. That may also explain why your PF is 'atypcial.'

JenniferL on 6/02/04 at 14:21 (151805)

Dr. Ed- What is normally done in these types of cases?