Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nerve Decompression Surgery

Posted by Darlene on 5/26/04 at 22:17 (151353)

I had minimally invasive nerve decompression surgery at the end of January for Morton's Neuroma. The ligament in the 3rd interspace was cut. Now I have pain in both the 3rd and 2nd interspace. I was told by a podiatrist that the procedure I had done (Koby Surgical) requires a fair bit of manipulation of the foot after the ligament is cut (to make sure it was cut) and that the nerve in the 2nd interspace was damaged. I'm finding it's affecting my knees, ankles etc. and I have to do something to help the pain in order to not damage other parts. I've tried a few custom orthotics and various shoes with no relief yet.
Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:-/

Re: Nerve Decompression Surgery

Dr. Z on 5/27/04 at 18:45 (151410)

Hi

I would go back to the local alcohol injections. If no relief then you may need to have open neuroma exision to resolve your pain.

Re: Dr. Z. - Clarification

Darlene on 5/28/04 at 07:03 (151451)

Dr. Z:
The pain that I am feeling in the 2nd interspace is the one I am concerned with right now. It is not where I had the surgery and there is no neuroma there. A podiatrist suggested that the pain was due to damage to the nerve during the surgery (manipulation). This pain began within days of surgery. I had a diagnostic ultrasound and there is no neuroma in the 2nd interspace. I am wondering if I should try cortisone and just wait. It's been 4 months.
Thank you.