Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery in one foot affects both feet?

Posted by Mike on 5/27/04 at 02:46 (151355)

I have Bilateral TTS/Neuropathy and had surgery in Jan 04 performed by Dr. Dellon. After surgery. I was immediately pain free but after about 2 months, the pain slowly came back and am still waiting to see if this was successful or not.

The thing is, even though only one foot was operated on, I was pain free in both feet, and when the pain came back, it came back in both feet as well.

I was wondering if anyone has had both feet effected by surgery on one foot and/or any ideas on how or why it can effect both feet?

Re: Surgery in one foot affects both feet?

wendyn on 5/27/04 at 06:48 (151356)

Mike, I suspect that the rest after surgery helps both feet feel better. Then, when you return to normal activity - the pain comes back.

Claire on 5/27/04 at 08:50 (151366)

Mike, what did Dr. Dellon find when he performed surgery?

LARA on 5/27/04 at 10:57 (151383)

A similar thing happened to me. I didn't have surgery, but I was given one compression sock. He had to order a second sock for me, so he put the one he had on the foot that had the slowest reading on the NCV test. To my utter suprise, both feet got better. I did a little experiment and put my one sock on the other foot - both feet got worse - I stopped the experiment. I've mentioned it periodically to doctors and these is the responses:

THE SHOOTING FROM THE HIP RESPONSE
1. That's cuz your gait is bilateral. I don't buy it. The body is bilateral but not perfectly bilateral. There would be some different between the two - and there isn't. Both feet change the same, up or down.

AN ACCEPTABLE RESPONSE FROM A DOCTOR I WOULD GO TO AGAIN

3. Who knows? (from one of the doctors able to admit she doesn't know everything).

MY FAVORITE EXAMPLE OF A DOCTOR WHO CAN'T ADMIT HE DOESN'T KNOW SOMETHING
4. It's in your head - like taking an aspirin - sometimes help people even thought aspirin isn't effective for it. I don't buy this one either. I do believe there are placebo effects. Actually, I suspect it's more like a Pavlov's dog repsonse in most cases - recent research indicates that the placebo effect is much more uncommon that initially thought (I could explain more about why the initial research reached the wrong conclusion but don't have time right now - have to go rescue my son soon as I finish this). Even assuming the placebo effect occurs in abundance - it occurs because people expect something to work. When I take an aspirin, I hope it will work. When I put a sock on one foot, I don't expect it to help BOTH feet.

AND THE BEST RESPONSE
5. Yea, I can't explain it but I've noticed that too. That's why now I always give cortisone shots in just one foot, and wait to see what happens. Several people have reported the same kind of phenomena.

AND LASTLY, MEDICAL CONCLUSIONS FROM A LAY PERSON:

I hit upon a second experiment. When I wear compression socks I predictably enough have what I call a 'red sock' when I get out of my shower. My socks go from my arch to just above my ankle. The 'red sock' is just the rush of blood from the hot shower where the area has been 'compressed'. It's rather meaningless from a medical standpoint, but does indicate that the area as been 'compressed' and blood flow restricted. So for a few days I wore just one sock 24/7 (I generally wear two in spite of my findings just cuz it's more logical on it's face and doesn't hurt anything). I then took a shower. I reasoned that if the sock was working on both feet because of some complicated messaging system in the body or something, then both feet would have a red sock. When I got out of the shower I asked my husband (the statitistician) to look at my feet and tell me if one or both feet had a 'red sock'. I hadn't told him about the experiment beforehand. He confirmed my observation - both feet has a 'red sock' - although one sock was 'redder' than the other.

So my conclusion is there is some kind of messaging system in the body, probably the neurological system, that does in fact speak to the bilateral nature of the body - but it shows itself in the messaging system, not because both feet are used the same way and therefore experience the same symptoms.

Gotta run, hope this makes sense.

Mike on 5/27/04 at 11:55 (151388)

Swollen nerves which was expected.
I dont have typical TTS. Its sort of a super imposed version due to being diabetic. Rather than having an injury or small tunnel causing compression, diabetics, due to a metobolic process caused by high blood glucose, have swelling of the nerves which exceed the boundaries of the tunnel causing compression.