Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

atypical PF profiles

Posted by goose on 5/27/04 at 08:26 (151362)

Onset:
4/02- Bilateral pain immediately following 19 mile run (I think my PF's tore)

Symptoms:
Deep ache/pain in lower arches and upper heel, burning in arch, worse after standing and walking

Mobility:
Better after rest...can walk only a few block without bad pain. Unable to walk lots (like at the mall or stores). Can't do any exercises on feet but can bike on good days, do yoga, stretching, etc. No morning pain, no sharp heel pain, going barefoot nevers hurt although I don't do it anymore.

Somewhat helpful tx:
*rest*
*ice*
*night splints*
*New Balance 716*
*custom orthodics*
Vioxx
stretching (hamstrings & calves)
hot soaks
Birkenstocks
taping

Unhelpful tx:
Prostretch foot stretcher
ultrasound
Alleve
Yoga
heelcups
Superfeet OTC orthodics
Bodywork PT (lots of alternative stuff)

Other treatments:
ESWTx2 ( Dornier) hoping it will work this time!

Current status:
Pain was very severe in acute phase (7-8 on scale of 10). Is typically around 3-4 on a good day. Currenlty 1 week post 2nd ESWT, feet are very tender and flare up easily from treatment.

Re: please add yours...

goose on 5/27/04 at 08:29 (151363)

let's see what helps atypical PF sufferers...

Re: atypical PF profiles

Elyse B on 5/27/04 at 08:45 (151365)

Onset:
end of March. Cumulation of running for a year on concrete.4

Symptoms:
Deep ache/pain in arches and calf muscles, seems sitting is worse for me.

Mobility:
Was walking and running up until May 22 and now stopped completely. I am afraid to bike as my calf muscles are deeply knotted. No morning pain ever, no heel pain ever.

Saw a podiatrist and had awful orthotics made which made the pain in my arches worse. Went to a pedorthist and I await new custom orthotics.

Since I am new at this ...Somewhat helpful tx:
I have ordered and await the SDO's and ordered another pair of custom orthotics. I ice every day and am resting. I am using heating pads on my calf muscles. I have tried ART but did not really give that much of a chance as it is expensive and difficult to make appointments. I did PT for about 3 weeks, it was okay, not great shakes. I am trying to make a commitment to light stretching and am thinking of taking yoga classes but on these boards there is a warning on weight bearing exercises.

I taped my feet when I walked and ran and will try that again. I take Celebrex on occasions but not regularly. I am thinkign of ordering the night splints and slant board but have not done so as yet. Everything is very expensive and I need to figure out what is better.

Current status:
Moderate pain, it is not prohibiting me from doing much. I am trying to prevent it from becoming chronic by resting.

Monte on 5/27/04 at 09:39 (151368)

Onset:
12/00- Bilateral pain after a few weeks of heavy claf raises and intense uphill treadmill running in an attempt to increase the size of my calves. Now they are smaller than they ever were thanks to PF.

Symptoms:
Deep ache/pain in lower arches and upper heel, burning in arch, worse while standing and walking

Mobility:
Better after rest. Can walk a few blocks without terrible pain. I exercise sitting down or on benches and machines. I don't do any exercises while standing so I don't increase the load on my feet. No first step morning pain but overall ache and some sharp pains in different spots. Never barefoot. Shower with shower sandals.

Somewhat helpful tx:
*rest*
*ice*
*custom orthodics* they don't hurt me further...not sure of their benefit
stretching (hamstrings & calves)
hot soaks
taping - 1 or 2 strips....not tight or the ball of my feet hurt.

Other treatments:
RFL...seems to have helped the most. Kills certain pain spots....Makes standing some what better....will be doing it more times.
ESWTx2 ( Dornier) Might need one more to try to get the sharp heel pains treated again

Current status:
Pain was very severe in the beginning (6-7 on scale of 10). Is typically around 3-4 on a good day. My right foot can get down to a 2 thanks to RFL....I can even walk some days with no pain in that heel. The left needs more work.

john h on 5/27/04 at 10:04 (151372)

Prior to PF I ran daily. When I would depart the Health Club I immediately started up a hill (concreted road) about 1/2 mile in length. Then down a hill 1/2 mile in length before I hit level ground. Both hills were very steep. Had to come back the same way. I am very confident my PF had much to do with the steep hills and the tension placed on the fascia from running up and down hills.

HilaryG on 5/27/04 at 12:06 (151390)

ART was my savior. Hilary

Place on 5/27/04 at 14:11 (151397)

Onset:
6-02- Bilateral pain after a few months of walking on treadmill with hills occasionally running with hills. Also stood on concrete for several days only wearing flip flops.
Symptoms:
Deep ache/pain in lower arches and upper heel, burning in arch, worse while standing and walking. Have some kind of knot along the cord connected to my big toe. When I get a massage, I have some tenderness in my calfs.

Mobility:
The more rest the better, I am a physical education teacher and my occupation has really prevented me from getting better. I can only go shopping for no more than 15 minutes. I can still bike ride and lift weight while sitting. In general I really do not get pain in the morning just when I really over do it the day before. My pain increase as the amount of time on my feet increase. I really work best with small bouts of walking 5-7 minutes and long breaks between them. I shower sitting down.

Somewhat helpful tx:
Rest- the longer I rest the further I can go the next day- but usually over do it. vicious cycle
ice
Massage
acupuncture
foot exercises
Anti-inflamitories
New-balance shoes
Some sort of inserts- I get pain from my current ones, I am getting my 3rd pair mad SDO's
Night splints- helped a bit

What did not work:
PT (12 weeks of it)-thought it would really help with the ultra sound but once I learned the exercises, I could have done my own program at home
stretching-always pull my gastroc's, resulting in a secondary injury!
1 Treatment of ESWT- insurance will not approve the second one

Other treatments:
PF release- it's only been several months so the results unknown

Current status:
Pain every day 6-7 range sometimes I get up to 8, that's when I just want to crawl around. I have altered every daily activity to reduce my time on my feet. I am planning on taking work off for the next 7 months, getting a wheel chair for the summer while I wear my night splints as a removable cast and slowly building up my time on my feet. Going to try ART and going back to acupuncture.

Carlos N. on 5/27/04 at 19:48 (151416)

PF started in 1991 with shoes that lacked proper arch support. Was walking a lot on my college campus and started to develop pain in both my heels. Continuous standing and walking exacerbated my problem. By 1994 stiffness developed in my ankle joints and soles of my feet were killing me. Fatigue became the norm. In 1997 I had custom made orthotics done by a podiatrist. Unfortunatley, it made my PF worse. Like a dummy I kept wearing the orthotics. Below are a list of my overall symptoms by 2004:

Tightness in calf muscles, and hamstrings.
Stiffness in ankle joints, knees, and shins.
Burning feeling in my arches and knees.
Loud popping sounds in my feet, ankle, and knee joints.
Shin splints
Constant fatigue, pain, and lack of sleep.

Mobility: I feel better after sitting down, but could no longer stand up because the pain was awful. Muscles became so tight that I had to stop most exercise and weight lifting. I tried yoga but I couldn't do the long stretches without breaking into a sweat.

Things that finally worked:
New orthotics to correct my excessive pronation
Physical therapy has been a savior for me
stretching my leg muscles and buttocks
rest
icing
motion control shoes
supportive family and friends
Alleve pain relief pills

Robert J on 5/27/04 at 22:58 (151437)

Goose --

I love your format but since there's been a number of replies, let me cut to the chase:

-- my pain experience sounds the same as everyone else's. No morning pain but a dull ache that accumulates through the day and moves around under the arch and towards the heel. Often it also has a searing quality. However, it's never the sharp, piercing pain that I have experienced with other forms of tendinitis. That's one reason why I wonder if we atypicals have the same kind of injury as those with classic PF.

-- my onset began while running. I'll never forget it. One day, like any other day, I gradually felt this searing pain extending in a sharp line under my arch. That was 2.5 years ago. It has never left me since, altho I have had periods when I thought I was on the road to recovery.

-- the 'recovery' periods have been most interesting. The most significant began almost one year ago after I had been 'resting' for several months, crawling around the house, sitting down to take a shower, thinking about every step I took. No progress was being made. I got sick of it and decided to experiment with strengthening exercises twice a day. Damned if I didn't get better, and kept getting better for almost six months. I also switched from ice to heat

-- I was better, yes, but my recovery hit a plateau. I don't know why. I continued strengthening exercises, I continued stretching (non-wait-bearing, of course), but I could not break free to the point where the pain just faded away. Then, after six months or so, I pushed things too far one day and the full measure of pain came roaring back.

-- I am increasingly convinced that the atypical array of symptoms represents an injury that is different in one way or another from classic PF. Our pain occurs in different places, the pain has a different character (and different from other forms of tendinitis, at least in my experience), and it occurs under different periods of stress.

--

Re: atypical PF profiles(disregard previous if posted)

Robert J on 5/27/04 at 23:03 (151438)

Goose --

I love your format but since there's been a number of replies, let me cut to the chase:

-- my pain experience sounds the same as everyone else's. No morning pain but a dull ache that accumulates through the day and moves around under the arch and towards the heel. Often it also has a searing quality. However, it's never the sharp, piercing pain that I have experienced with other forms of tendinitis. That's one reason why I wonder if we atypicals have the same kind of injury as those with classic PF.

-- my onset began while running. I'll never forget it. One day, like any other day, I gradually felt this searing pain extending in a sharp line under my arch. That was 2.5 years ago. It has never left me since, altho I have had periods when I thought I was on the road to recovery.

-- the 'recovery' periods have been most interesting. The most significant began almost one year ago after I had been 'resting' for several months, crawling around the house, sitting down to take a shower, thinking about every step I took. No progress was being made. I got sick of it and decided to experiment with strengthening exercises twice a day. Damned if I didn't get better, and kept getting better for almost six months. I also switched from ice to heat and tossed into the closet my custom orthotics. I kept taping for a while and then stopped that.

-- I was better, yes, but my recovery hit a plateau. I don't know why. I continued strengthening exercises, I continued stretching (non-wait-bearing, of course), but I could not break free to the point where the pain just faded away. Then, after six months or so, I pushed things too far one day and the full measure of pain came roaring back.

-- I am increasingly convinced that the atypical array of symptoms represents an injury that is different in one way or another from classic PF. Our pain occurs in different places, the pain has a different character (and different from other forms of tendinitis, at least in my experience), and it occurs under different periods of stress.

--But what does this mean, and what answers are available? I am most interested in Goose's second dose of ESWT, especially because the technicians attempted to deal with arch pain as well as insertional pain. Otherwise, I am at a loss. I think we atypicals need to keep conferring and comparing notes because, just maybe, we can lead each other out of this horror.

Chris I on 5/28/04 at 09:30 (151464)

Onset: June 2003 - severe pain in back of right heel. Onset was so quick doctor thought at first it was a heel fracture although did mention pf. Pain gradually moved to the arch and became deep pain that only let up when I slept. Most days it was around an 8. Initially I thought pf was like other soft tissue injuries and kept working it, stretching and walking.

Helpful tx:
Celebrex
massage
custom orthotics (adjusted once for better contact on right arch + heel lifts).
Night splint - has been a life saver.
rest and modified work plan to limit walking for 4 weeks
icing

Unhelpful tx:
stretching - actually made it worse
taping - did not really help a great deal

Current status
95% pain free
I still get some 'niggles' in my arch or heel occassionally if I have overdone it.
I can walk about 6 blocks at a time without any ill effects
I can grocery shop
I am now trying to increase my activity level slowly ie 10% a week and backing off if I get pain. If I do get pain now I would categorize it a 1 or a 2 and it is alleviated by sitting with foot up for an hour too. I am still taking celebrex, using the orthotics and the night splint every night. My night splint is at max flex now....slowly worked it up to that level.

I am a much happy camper!!!

Re: atypical PF profiles(disregard previous if posted)

john h on 5/28/04 at 11:04 (151471)

I have had bilaterial PF for 9 years. I have tried most everything including 4 ESWT treatments,PF and TTS Surgery, all meds, shots, night splints, ointments, massage, accupuncture, 3 pairs of custom orthotics, all sorts of Doctors in many cities,etc,etc.

I have concluded PF is not just one disease. Like cancer there are many causes of what we perceive as PF pain therefore there will never be a breakthough treatment that fits all. We each must deal with our pain in our own way in hopes of finding a breakthrough for our condition.No one to this date can ever truly define or locate the 'pain generator' in PF. If you really do not know where the pain is coming from it will always be a most difficult disease to treat.