Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Suzanne's Birthday is tomorrow!

Posted by Kathy G on 5/29/04 at 08:59 (151525)

We may all get busy with the holiday and I just want to take the opportunity to wish Suzanne a happy birthday! She is a helpful, compassionate and understanding poster and one of the backbones of these boards. One can always count on her to have something positive to say.

May you have a happy day, Suzanne, and many more to come!=D>

Re: Suzanne's Birthday is tomorrow!

Suzanne D. on 5/29/04 at 09:12 (151526)

Why, thank you, Kathy! :) I appreciate your remembering!

I have been extremely busy this week and haven't posted much although I've scanned the boards quickly each day to check on everyone.

My daughter graduated from high school Thursday night and was able to walk every step of the long walk in the school, through the midsection of the bleachers, down steps up the gym floor, to the front three times with her choir, and up more steps to the platform to receive her diploma. Those who read about her car accident and three broken toes 10 days before know how thankful I am that she was able to do so!

We went to the orthopedic surgeon last Wednesday afternoon for an exam, taking the x-rays from the hospital with us. He said she could get out of the hard-bottomed shoe they gave us at the hospital and begin to wear normal shoes as long as they didn't have very high heels. Being the overly-cautious mother that I am, I asked if he thought all the walking at graduation would be too much or if she needed to still wear the hospital shoe a few more days. He said that would not be necessary, so we found some suitable white shoes to wear with her graduation gown. She limped slightly but made it every step. Thanks for all your kind words, thoughts and prayers.

Last night and tomorrow afternoon are the final ballet, tap recitals. She sat in a chair and tapped with one number last night and did some 'walk-ons' in the ballet. She said she sat backstage and cried through her favorite tap number which she was unable to do. But she showed courage and grace, and I was proud of her.

Thanks again for thinking of me! Have a nice weekend, everyone!!
Suzanne :)

Dorothy on 5/29/04 at 10:43 (151532)

Hear! Hear! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUZANNE!! AND MANY, MANY MORE!! And now:

SPEECH!! SPEECH!!

Kathy said it perfectly and I'm glad she shared this information.
We are so glad to 'know' you!! Happy Birthday!!

Julie on 5/29/04 at 11:14 (151542)

A very Happy Birthday to you, Suzanne - and many happy returns of the day. I hope you'll have a wonderful day.

And I'm so glad your daughter was able to walk to receive her diploma.

All the very best,

Julie

Re: Happy Birthday Suzanne

wendyn on 5/29/04 at 15:56 (151569)

Hope you have a great day!

Re: Happy Birthday, Suzanne! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/29/04 at 22:46 (151577)

I hope you have a terrific birthday. :)

Carole C

Re: Happy Birthday from one Teacher Suzanne to another

SuzanneK on 5/29/04 at 23:54 (151580)

Hope your birthday is full of joy.

I'm so glad your daughter's graduation went well. I know you are grateful her accident wasn't worse.

Are you out of school yet? We had our last day with kids Friday. I spent today helping my new teaching partner move into the room across the hall from me. Boy are my feet complaining! Good thing I have workshops next week so I can spend some time resting my feet.

Have a great day!

Pam S. on 5/29/04 at 23:55 (151581)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Suzanne. I hope you and your family have a great day together. I am so happy your daughter is on her way to recovery. Thinking of you, Pam

marie on 5/30/04 at 20:05 (151609)

Happy Birthday Suzanne!

Kathy in Ky on 5/31/04 at 12:12 (151619)

Happy Birthday Suzanne! Did you have strong winds last night? Mason Co. has a sme4 warning but thankfully it didn't come through our area. Are you out of school for the summer? I have one more day of school. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation!

Suzanne D. on 5/31/04 at 21:23 (151654)

Thank you, Marie!

Suzanne D. on 5/31/04 at 21:27 (151655)

Thank you very much, Julie! Yes, she walked to receive her diploma and sat in a chair and tapped (not too vigorously with her left foot!) to one number in the dance recital. She came out a few times in the ballet, keeping her left foot flat always and doing the arm motions, etc. She is tall, so when the other girls went up on pointe, it really wasn't noticeable with her in the back that she did not. Of course it wasn't what she had worked for or had hoped, but it was something. She said part of her wanted to just stay home, but part of her thought that in years to come she would regret if she didn't try to do what she could.

Suzanne D. on 5/31/04 at 21:28 (151656)

Thank you, Dorothy! I am sorry to read in other posts that your hives are not gone yet. I hope that you can soon see an end to this problem as I know it has to be getting so exasperating.

Take care,

Suzanne D. on 5/31/04 at 21:29 (151657)

Thank you, Wendy! I hope your husband is doing well. Has he gotten to enjoy any more golf outings recently?

Suzanne D. on 5/31/04 at 21:30 (151658)

Thank you very much, Carole! How is New Orleans and Frank? Any sea trips in the future in your work?

Suzanne D. on 5/31/04 at 21:32 (151659)

Thank you, Pam! I hope your daughter with mono is steadily improving! My mother used to say that she would rather be sick than to see my sister or I ill. When I was a child I thought that was an amazing, unusual thing to say. Now I know how she felt! And I'm sure you do, too. We'd rather have the pain and disappointment than to see our children experience it.

I wish her a speedy recovery!

Re: Happy Birthday from one Teacher Suzanne to another

Suzanne D. on 5/31/04 at 21:38 (151660)

Thank you, Suzanne! Our last day with the children was Thursday. Friday was closing day with meetings and lots of paperwork due, which I am sure you understand!

I have professional development meetings two days this week and need to do some more work in my classroom. I left quickly last Thursday as graduation was that night. And then on Friday I didn't get everything put away as I should. My co-worker retired after 42 years in the classroom, so we honored her on that day as well.

Yes, I understand about the stress on the feet at the beginning and closing of school! I hope you get rested and have a good summer!

Suzanne D. on 5/31/04 at 21:41 (151661)

Thank you, Kathy! Yes, we went to the basement at one point when our area was under a sme4 warning. We had no damage although there were high winds and a great deal of rain. I'm glad your area was spared, too!

Our school was out last Thursday. Enjoy your summer vacation!

wendyn on 5/31/04 at 22:14 (151662)

Suzanne, he is doing very well. He had his biopsy results at the beginning of May. There was no invasion, and the form of cancer he has (had?) has a very low rate of aggression. I know that's not the correct term, but something like that. Hopefully this will be a one time event, but they'll be watching him closely.

Not so much golf lately. We've had terrible weather. We are hoping to get out camping soon!

Dorothy on 6/01/04 at 00:17 (151669)

Thank YOU, Suzanne! You've had a very busy week, haven't you?! I hope you will be able to sit back and relax a little bit soon. Some neighbors/acquaintances of ours just recently moved to Bowling Green - and I actually had twinges of jealousy. (makes me green AND red!)
Nope, hives are still with me, but have diminished on head quite a lot - just shadows of them remain. They are elsewhere though. I'm afraid I'm being quite a worrywort about them because their pattern and appearance fits the description of something that is often confused with hives. (I have been reading the Hives book) and is associated with Hodgkins lymphoma. Why does this concern me, other than I seem to be developing a certain level of obsession on this topic? Because one of my brothers had it. It's also associated with leukemia and that is what my grandmother died of and I bear physiologic resemblance to her. So - you have the best wishes of a red and green worrywort - for what that's worth!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/02/04 at 18:39 (151831)

No sea trips in the future, Suzanne! At least, none that I know of. On the other hand, I didn't know about the one two years ago until shortly before it departed.

I'm enjoying New Orleans, and it's wonderful that Frank now lives within driving distance. He was here over the long weekend, and on Memorial Day we explored some of the more remote areas to the southeast of New Orleans.

On the way back, we visited the Chalmette battlefield (the site of General Andrew Jackson's victory over the British in 1815, the final battle of the War of 1812). Although there was really nothing there, it seemed somber and somehow appropriate on Memorial Day.

Then we stopped at a vegetable stand by the side of the road, and got some lovely Creole tomatos and other vegetables which I've been enjoying all week.

I'm still struggling with losing weight, and at least I have kept off the 27 pounds that I lost. The great produce may have helped me this week; we'll see! :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 6/02/04 at 21:32 (151848)

Hang in there, Carole! You're doing a very hard, but very important, thing!

Re: Carole

wendyn on 6/02/04 at 22:16 (151849)

Carole, keeping off 27 lbs is something to be proud of. Don't minimize it!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/03/04 at 19:13 (151944)

Today I officially lost a total of 30 pounds, according to Weight Watchers! I can testify that there's something to be said for not giving up, even if it seems one is getting nowhere.

Carole C

Re: Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 6/03/04 at 19:14 (151946)

Thanks, and guess what? I was totally surprised to find out that it is now 30 pounds. Progress at last. :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 6/03/04 at 19:45 (151951)

Yeah!!!

JudyS on 6/04/04 at 16:42 (152035)

Carole you are my idol - way to go on that 30 lbs.!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/04 at 07:41 (152079)

Thanks, Judy! Weight Watchers seems to work for me. As soon as I lose another 25, I'll be rid of all the weight I gained last year, and then I'll be in 'new territory' (as far as weight loss goes). That will be so cool. :)

I'm still substantially overweight, and I plan to keep fighting to lose weight until it's gone (and then I plan to keep fighting to keep it off). I'm really glad that I didn't gain back all 80 pounds that I had lost right before I got PF.

Carole C