Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Found great shoes for women!

Posted by JenniferL on 5/29/04 at 10:55 (151537)

Hi everyone!! I just wanted to share... I have been in so much pain recently and someone recommended Dansko shoes. Many of their shoes have removable inserts, and all have rocker soles. I bought a pair yesterday and they are awesome!! Because the rocker sole does all the work for you, the plantar fascia doesn't have to stretch as much... So it makes it a lot easier to walk. You literally roll along! Plus the soles are thick, which I've found is better for me. I wore them all day and felt 70% better for the first time in months.

Re: Found great shoes for women!

Susan S on 5/29/04 at 11:56 (151543)

You bet! Rocker Soles are the only kind I can wear. I'll check out Dansko too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Re: Susan- question Found great shoes for women!

JenniferL on 5/31/04 at 10:56 (151616)

What others have you tried?

Susan S on 6/02/04 at 11:32 (151787)

The one I bought recently was a Wolky sandal. They have some rocker-type shoes and they're lightweight and cute. I got the Wolkey Nassau. I bought it from the Norm Thompson catalog, but saw it on the wolkyshop.com website under the 'catalog - slipper' menu option. Price range is similar to Birkenstocks.

susan o on 6/02/04 at 19:40 (151836)

Has anyone found something similar to Danskos? I have a thin foot.

Dorothy on 6/02/04 at 22:40 (151852)

Susan O -
I also love Danskos and have worn them for years. A mail order catalog arrived today with a wide variety of shoes in a brand called Softspot. I have never worn them, but they were in styles that kind of resembled some of the Danskos - and they came in a wide variety of widths and sizes. So you might want to look for that brand. I'll keep an eye out for other Dansko-esque shoes - but I think Danskos might be unique so that might not be possible.

JenniferL on 6/03/04 at 18:26 (151939)

Just got back from the pod. and showed him my Danskos. Also showed him a pair of sandals that I have, the brand is Mia. (cheaper shoe, but very comfy with rocker sole) He showed me how to determine if a rocker sole is really a good rocker or not: put the shoe on a table, push down on the toe so the back of the shoe lifts up, and measure how many finger-widths you have between the table and the shoe. The Dansko's allow four fingers width, my Mia sandals allow three- basically the more the back of the shoe lifts up when you push on the toe, the better it is. So, Dansko's are great because they rock a lot. I saw the SoftSpots in the store yesterday but I'm not sure if they rock well or not. I've seen Dansko clogs in narrow widths, though.... and I find clogs to be helpful because they rock....

Susan S on 6/03/04 at 20:34 (151960)

That's good to know about measuring how much rock there is. The Wolky shoe that I have lifts up 2.5 inches. Not all Wolkys are rockers by the way. I think they run wide in the toe area and don't have a narrow that I've seen.

Debbie,P. on 6/07/04 at 16:58 (152273)

Hi Susan,

Where can I find the Dansko shoes?

thanks,
Deb

Susan S on 6/07/04 at 21:41 (152313)

Jennifer would probably know more than I do, but I saw them at a ballet and western store where I live. It's a place that carries a lot of specialty shoes. Don't know if that will help.

JenniferL on 6/07/04 at 21:53 (152315)

I found mine by going to Dansko.com and doing a store locator search. But, you should call the store before you go. Some stores only stock Dansko clogs, which are good too, but if you're looking for the rocker sole shoes and sandals, you may have to call the store to see if they have them.

susan o on 6/08/04 at 17:08 (152445)

Zappos carries Dansko too. Anyone try the Elena style?

susan o on 6/08/04 at 17:10 (152446)

Susan, which style of Wolkys have you tried? Too often we talk about brand and not a particular style. There are sure differences between them, you know?

Susan S on 6/08/04 at 18:35 (152453)

Yes, some of the Wolkys are rocker types and some are not. I got the Nassau. It's a slide, which the docs say we should not wear. It does have a little dip in the heel, and I don't think my heel slides around in it (I don't walk much anyway). Also the Nassau has a removable insole, so I guess you could put your own orthotic in it. What I like best is I don't look like I'm wearing orthopedic shoes with these. They make closed back loafers that are rockers that I want, but that's another $120 so I'm putting it off. In case you missed the post, wolkyshop.com seems to have the best selection and I don't think there's a shipping fee.

susan o on 6/08/04 at 21:24 (152477)

Thanks Suan. I went back and looked at the site and found another pair that looks pretty good. I've tried on the Liana (too wide for my foot), the Nimes (the top strap rubbed a weird bone on my foot), and the Avallon. I really like the Avallon but the podiatrist seemed to think they were too heavy......I may not take his word for it. ha I ordered from Zappos. They have free shipping, free return shipping, don't give you a problem on returns. AND you can keep the shoes for up to 365 days before you return them! They have a good selection of them. Does it say on the Wolky site if they are rockers?

Susan S on 6/09/04 at 08:02 (152497)

Susan O,
I looked at the Zappos site for the first time. Looks like a really good site. Wolky has some shoes that they call 'Roll' which curve up alot at the toe, so they should be rockers. Also some that are not called Roll also curve up. And then some are thin-soled and flat. Funny, I'm dreaming about shoes now.

susan o on 6/09/04 at 08:19 (152500)

One of them I tried was rather flat on the sole. I don't think those are good for fasciitis at all! So watch out for them.

Susan S on 6/09/04 at 10:21 (152522)

The soles on mine are about 1.5 inch thick at the heel and about 1 inch thick at the toe with a curved toe on the sole side. They rock pretty well. I wouldn't get ones that were flat soled either.

Susan S on 6/09/04 at 10:27 (152523)

Susan O,
Have you tried the Birkenstocks and if so what do you think of them? I would think having such a thin flat sole would make them uncomfortable, but so many people here love them.

susan o on 6/09/04 at 20:43 (152602)

I absolutely can not wear Birks. Tried for 3 months to gradually get used to them. Finally felt like they were giving me shin splints and gave it up entirely. Had thought at the time that the stiffness of the sole was the cause. But I'm thinking it is more likely to be tha they are flat. Have you tried them?

Susan S on 6/09/04 at 20:50 (152604)

I haven't tried them, even though there is a Birk store a few miles from me. I think they have a few that are thicker soled, so I'll try those when I get there. What style of Birks did you wear? Do you have typical or atypical PF? I have atypical.

susan o on 6/10/04 at 14:26 (152668)

I tried the Arizona. I suspect the soft footbed type would be more comfortable. What's the difference between typical and atypical?

Susan S on 6/11/04 at 07:29 (152712)

There's a lot more to it than this, but usually typical has pain when putting weight on the foot after having been off it for a while, such as when getting out of bed in the morning, and atypical usually does not. I don't, and all my pain is in the arch area. (I'm an atypical.) Someone else could give more on that.

susan o on 6/11/04 at 08:19 (152717)

then that sounds like mine is typical. Get out of bed in the morning and the first few steps I walk like I'm 120.

Susan S on 6/11/04 at 17:18 (152780)

Hi,
Look for my response below in the posts near this one. These are going off to the right so much I can't see them!

Susan S on 6/11/04 at 17:20 (152781)

Hi Susan,
Are you using night splints at all, or stretching?
I am going to the Birkenstock store tomorrow morning.

susan o on 6/12/04 at 15:03 (152829)

I'm stretching. It helped a year ago. Didn't eleminate the pain completely. Also I'm massaging my foot on the claw foot of our table.....hey, it's the perfect set up what can I say. Just got hard orthotics this week, so am adjusting. Tried the night splint. GAG It was probably because the one I had was a rotten design. I'd wake up about 3 every morning in some serious pain where the straps were cutting into me. The one I was using only had 3 narrow straps on it, what were they thinking.
What is working for you? Glad you moved here. Couldn't read them either.

Rose on 6/13/04 at 12:02 (152882)

This is all so interesting. I have Birks, several pairs that I got at Sams. They run under $50.00 there. I have one old pair, Arizonas, which I wear around out in the yard, around water. They get all wet and muddy and dry off fine even when completely wet.I also wear Birks around the house, trying never to go barefooted. The pain is so much less the instant I put them on.
It took me a long time to get used to them. It was like getting used to a hard orthotic. Now, they feel wonderful even new. They have saved me a lot of pain. They even work when I have very narrow feet.
I am very interested in trying some of the shoes you have been talking about too. Which stores would you possibly find the ansko shoes?
The other shoes I wear are NB 1122. They are wonderful. I also have one pair of black SAS shoes when I need tolook a little bit more dressed up.
Thanks again.

Rose on 6/13/04 at 12:04 (152883)

Do you have the stability boot? I have found that it is a very comfortable night splint.

Re: Debbie, Jennifer, Susan O, Re: Found great shoes for women!

Susan S on 6/13/04 at 16:22 (152897)

Wow, I just got back from the Birkenstock store in town and it turned out they sell Danskos also. The Danskos were fantastic for me! I bought a pair of sandals that are sooo comfortable! I measured the amount of rock (by pushing up on the toe and measuring the heel height) and it was 3 inches (more than 4 fingers). One thing about the Danskos is that the sizes were not at all consistent. For a given size, one style would be too small, another just right, and another too big.

Susan S on 6/13/04 at 16:30 (152898)

The night splint I am using is a no-name brand sold from a doctor's office. It's pretty comfortable. It has 3 thin straps too but also has cushions on the straps. The night splint is the only thing that has made much difference for me so far. I don't think I'm doing everything there is to do. I just started doing some strengthening exercises, so hopefully that will make a difference as time goes on. I was stretching by pulling back on my toes, but I think I overdid it recently and made things worse.
How are you liking your orthotics?

Susan S on 6/13/04 at 16:31 (152899)

What is a stability boot?

susan o on 6/13/04 at 22:35 (152916)

Hey, glad they seem to work. I've got a pair ordered that I'm hoping will work for me. Tried some on at a local store and the sole was SO supportive! Which did you get, by the way? We can compare notes and maybe find some answers. By the way, if they work for you, I saw that they have some serious deals on ebay for them sometimes too.
The orthotics are hurting! right now. Will give it some time and see. Had them adjusted once and suspect that will have to happen again. Planning a vacation in a couple months that will involved lots of walking. So, I'm real anxious to find something that is going to work!

Re: .....great shoes for women!

JenniferL on 6/14/04 at 00:46 (152921)

Hey everyone! I'm so glad that people here are as crazy about shoes as I am. Constantly searching for the perfect pair. I had the same problem with Dansko's, depending on the style, they are either too loose or too tight. The woman in the store said that they're better off a little loose. I don't know, I just obsessively carry socks around with me in case I need to adjust. By the way if you can't find them I know that Nordstrom carries Dansko, although not the best selection.

I have atypical PF too, which is a pain in the butt because a lot of therapies don't work... But I found out that my big toes are stiff, which causes me to walk funny, and this in turn has caused my PF in the arches of my feet. That's why rocker soles are great for some people,depending on the cause of the PF.... As for Birks, I wear them in the house only, they are totally too flat for me but are very comfy for shuffling around the house in. Better than walking barefoot, which I love to do. But they have like NO shock absorbtion so I can't go anywhere in them....

Rose on 6/14/04 at 17:40 (152977)

it is the big black removable cast with the metal on each side and the velcro. It is essentially a walking cast that can be removed.

Susan S on 6/15/04 at 09:02 (153031)

I wish I had kept mine from 13 years ago when I broke my ankle. Little did I know...

Susan S on 6/15/04 at 09:18 (153037)

Forgot to look at the box for the name of the shoe last night. Will check tonight. They are sandals though, so I doubt they have the support you're looking for, for much walking (cute though!). I really just got them to get from the car to the restaurant and back in a shoe that doesn't look orthopedic and is comfortable.

There are several posts about rocker soles and arch support. I can't figure it out. I tried on Arizonas, and literally could not take a step in them. I took one step and it felt like I pulled something in my arch. I can walk almost normally in the rocker type shoe, even though my pf has gotten a little worse lately. I have the SuperFeet arch support that I put in some Merrills, and those are hard to wear. I think they make my feet tilt out a little, which may be what they're supposed to do. But they hurt my arch. Aaackk! I just don't know! Thanks for reading my rambling complaints.

Re: Danskos and other shoes

Kara on 6/15/04 at 12:22 (153084)

I have had chronic PF for about 5 years now. I'm 28 and looking for nice shoes for wearing with suits, especially skirts. I have several pairs of danskos and LOVE them. I only buy the urban style because of the removable insole to accomodate my orthotic. Before danskos I could only walk 15 minutes a day. Now I can walk at least 2-3 hours before any serious pain. I just got a pair of their new Hampton style narrower dressy style. It's nice for long skirts or slacks, but I'd love some dressy sandals or something similar for summer suits.
Any suggestions? Has anyone tried to put custom orthotics in the Wolky shoes (just learned about Wolkys from this site)?
Thanks!

susan o on 6/15/04 at 21:44 (153141)

whoa, will have to check out this Hampton style if it is narrower! I seem to need that. Tho actually my problem is the thickness of my foot more than the width.

JenniferL on 6/17/04 at 08:27 (153236)

Aaarrggh! Shoes for wearing with skirts! I cannot find anything that works for me. I have all these beautiful skirts in my closet that have gone unworn because I can't find a good pair of shoes to wear with them.
I tried on the Dansko MaryJanes and they rubbed my bunionectomy scar so badly that I had to pass on them. Any other suggestions out there?

By the way I think Birks really do take getting used to. I am wearing mine at work today- I got them two weeks ago, and normally only wear them around the house.... they're so flat.... but today I just couldn't take them off and decided to go to work with them on. Maybe they're broken in now? I still don't think they're good for walking long distances in though.

susan o on 6/19/04 at 12:19 (153499)

Be careful about those Birks! For me they just plain don't work. Tried for 2 months to slowly get used to them and had to give them up as they were making my legs hurt.

JenniferL on 6/21/04 at 21:26 (153660)

Yeah, they're not for everyone. I find that they are great for hanging out in, whenever I'm standing a lot but not walking long distances. I can't walk a great deal in them, but right now I can't seem to wear anything else. I had my New Balance sneakers on the other day to do some classroom prep work and found that I was dying to get back into the sandals. I think the trick is rotating shoes- not wearing the same pair every day.

RACHAEL T. on 6/22/04 at 13:36 (153709)

Dorothy - Wondering what catalog you discovered Soft Spot Shoes in as I wear a pair to church that are sort of casual/dressy w/ skirts or pants sometimes - I wear SDOs in them and they seem comfy. I have been looking for them in case there is another style that is wearable & prettier than my usual Birks - so let me know - Thanks!

Kara on 6/23/04 at 10:06 (153754)

Just got my first pair of Wolky's in the mail yesterday. I am hoping I can wear them longer than birks since they have a thicker, shock absorbant sole.
I'll keep you updated on how I like them when i get a chance to wear them for a day.
Kara