Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HEEL PAIN

Posted by FAITH M. on 6/01/04 at 16:10 (151727)

I HAVE HEEL PAIN OF THE RIGHT FOOT. THE PAIN IS ON THE BACK OF MY HEEL, ON THE XRAY THE SPUR LOOKS LIKE A SPUR ON A COWBOYS BOOT. I HAVE BEEN TO A FOOT DOCTOR ON TWO OCCASIONS. AND BOTH TIMES MY FOOT WAS INJECTED AT THE FOCAL POINT. IT IS RECOMMENDED A TRY A SUPPORT APPARATTIS, HOT SOAKS WITH EPSON SALTS AN PT. AM I ON THE RIGHT COURSE? THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE, FAITH M.

Re: HEEL PAIN

Dr. Z on 6/01/04 at 23:30 (151755)

Hi,

If the area is the BACK of the heel, then you are receiving an injection at or near the insertion for the Achilles tendon. If your doctor is using a local steriod injection this is a no no. Please be sure to ask what type of injection is being used

DR Ben Pearl on 6/02/04 at 09:02 (151768)

If the injection is in the bursa tissue in the back of the heel,lower than the main achilles insertion steroid is ok

Dr. Ben Pearl

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/02/04 at 17:25 (151818)

I agree with Dr. Pearl. There are many anecdotal stories regarding spontaneous rupture of the Achilles following steroid injection. In fact, there are several studies that question this belief and have shown that there is no higher incidence. It is well known that repeated steroid injections can atrophy tissue, therefore it is my belief that the potential benefits must outweigh the potential risks. Therefore, if the treatment of choice is a steroid injection at the area of the Achilles or the bursa, the amount of steroid injected should be very limited and the area should be immobilized following the injection to prevent further injury. Certainly, repeated injections should be avoided and are associated with increased risk.

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/02/04 at 17:36 (151819)

After reading my reply, I didn't want to give the wrong idea. I do believe that steroid injections at the Achilles should be avoided. However, if a patient is considering surgery as the last alternative, I would not hesitate to give an isolated injection followed by immobilization to avoid injury. Hope that makes it more understandable.

Edwina D on 6/03/04 at 07:19 (151860)

I have been treated for plantar fasciitis. It has not been a problem in the last 3 years. Now I am having sharp pain at the outside heel ares. It tends to swell and is sometimes discolored. I have been told it may be a heel spur. Is it possible for a spur to develop on the outside area of the heel? I wear closed, cushioned shoes. Some days it hurts just to rub the shoe over the heel when it is removed. To the best of my knowledge, I have not injured it.
Thank you for your time,
Edwina