Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

is Hillary still around?

Posted by Tricia H on 6/02/04 at 14:35 (151806)

I just had my first ART treatment. I am hopeful this isn't another dead end on this injury. The good thing is that I feel like I'm back where I was before the ESWT (which definitely made it worse, and so far no better than before). I spend 2 weeks in Italy & for the most part was ok walking (took lots of advil). My hurdle now is will I ever be able to run again.

Would like to hear more about your experience with ART.

Thanks

Re: is Hillary still around?

Dorothy on 6/02/04 at 18:00 (151824)

Unclear here - did ART make your condition worse or did ESWT make your condition worse??

Tricia H on 6/03/04 at 07:30 (151861)

The ESWT made my condition worse. Before it, I was able to walk a few miles no problem. I tried running again, and had a set back, so the doctor suggested I try it. It did make it worse for a few weeks, now I am back to where I was before I tried running again, so it didn't make it worse long term, but also does not seem to have made it any better. Hillary suggested, since she like myself is atypical, that I try ART. I did yesterday. My foot is pretty sore today & I want to know if that is typical, and how many sessions she tried before she felt improvement.

Pauline on 6/03/04 at 08:47 (151876)

Did your doctor ever suggest a second round? Many people get second treatments sometimes even more. I believe the set back from running. Many other folks post similar experience until they have cleared up.

Tricia H on 6/03/04 at 09:55 (151889)

Since I am one of those atypical cases, and my pod stated the ESWT may only help a little, I don't feel I want to go through that again. Not even sure my insurance covers a second round. Since my foot is now at the point where I can do the stationary bike, walk pretty well, and use the stair stepper, I just don't want to go through another few weeks of immobilization that I had after the first treatment.

Have you tried A.R.T?

Place on 6/03/04 at 12:51 (151901)

I just started my ART treatment and I was sore too, but it felt really good after the session! I don't go back for another several weeks. I am trying a complete rest period for a month or so and do not want to aggitate it when it's trying to heal

HilaryG on 6/03/04 at 13:57 (151908)

Hi- Yes, I'm still around. If I remember correctly I had around 6 treatments before I saw any improvement at all. And until then I felt worse-- not better. ART is difficult in the beginning-- but it is so worth it. I never had ESWT so maybe it will be different for you. But I sure do recommend it. As I always say-- ART gave me back my life. Good luck, Hilary

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/03/04 at 15:55 (151917)

One is not immmobilized after ESWT. In fact the use of ESWT changes nothing that one is already doing with the exception of avoidance of NSAID's.
Ed

Tricia H on 6/03/04 at 16:02 (151919)

I must disagree. I had trouble walking after my treatment, and was quite sore for 2 weeks. Could not work out in the gym other than weights. It may help some people, but it really didn't help me. It was worth the try, but I won't do it again.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/03/04 at 16:09 (151922)

Tricia:
Being sore is not the same as being immobilized. There are things that can be done for soreness. It takes 12 weeks to see the effects of ESWT with a percentage of individuals requiring a second treatment. It is not clear that you have given it 12 weeks nor that you had two rounds. Also, ESWT is not a stand alone treatment -- it must be performed in conjunction with all the other necessary treatments including any necessary biomechanical control, physical therapy, stretching, releif of gastrosoleus equinus if present. You have not provided any of this supporting information yet.
Ed

Tricia H on 6/03/04 at 16:44 (151930)

My doctor did not suggest any of the above you mentioned, other than stretching and no anti-inflammatories. I do have orthotics, which were hard to tolerate after the procedure as my arch was so sore. Let me re-phrase by term. I was not immobilized, but I was not able to do all that I was before the treatment. 2 months later it is just back to where I started before the treatment. My doctor clearly stated that since I was atypical, this may only help about 50%. I'm not suggesting others don't try it. It didn't work for me so far, and since I am not in the kind of pain others on this site are, I'd rather try something like A.R.T to get over the last 20% hump of the injury.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/03/04 at 17:19 (151936)

Tricia:
You may want to make sure you read Scott's Heel Pain Book so you understand the full picture as I suspect your doctor may not have provided that to you.
Ed