Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Survey: Anyone on disability or working? Job type?

Posted by John Martello on 6/02/04 at 18:56 (151832)

I was wondering if anyone with the demon Tarsal tunnel syndrome is on disability, or working and the type of job that helps them function to get through the day. Thanks

Re: Survey: Anyone on disability or working? Job type?

marie on 6/02/04 at 19:32 (151834)

I'm a teacher. Never considered disability. I just got a scooter and kept going. I was barely able to walk about a year and a half ago. I stuck with a plan and am functioning very well.

I did rearrange my room so I can get to each student easier and I use a stool when needed.

I guess it depends on whether or not your in constant pain. I was only in pain when I walked or stood to long. So I just re thought how I do things.

best wishes marie

Claire on 6/03/04 at 02:12 (151856)

Hi John. I work as a personal assistant to CEO of a big international company. I have changed my hours to 8.00-4.30 to avoid commuting in the rush hour. I sit at a desk for the majority of the day.

Terri on 6/03/04 at 19:09 (151943)

I'm up and down all day but never up for too long. I have a mgr's position which entails a lot of computer/desk time but am also in charge of the shipping dock and that means a lot of running out there too.

We recently had a change of dress code, went to business dress. I can't wear dress shoes of any kind, plus my inserts won't fit into them, so my dr wrote a disability certificate stating I'm to wear tennis shoes with my orthotics.

mary l on 6/05/04 at 14:23 (152108)

I am a Pharmacist and I have been out since my surgery on 3/24. I want to go back to work but know that the 13 hour day of standing cannot be done anymore. Soon I hope to go back to work but will take night shifts (not busy and can sit down often). This will be a life change but I know my life has changed!

Aimee C. on 6/07/04 at 00:33 (152189)

When I was in more pain I did think of going on disability and checked it out. There's a message board on it I can give you if you want. It seems that you can't reduce your hours and get disability; it's all or nothing. And the disability amount depends on what you were making first, so if you reduce your hours bit by bit, you may actually get less disability or totally disqualify yourself. It really doesn't make sense.

I'm working in an office mostly, and it's OK. When I have to go to a party to schmooze, I use one of those cane chairs and sit while other people stand around me. They're not comfortable for long periods of sitting but they work for a half hour or so at a time.

Paula S. on 10/31/04 at 15:46 (162639)

Aimee C. could I get that message board address on disability. Thanks